getting new wired dsl router to work

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hlywdbaldy, Sep 23, 2010.

1. hlywdbaldy macrumors newbie

I have purchased 2 different wired DSL routers from Fry's and my Mac G4 OS X 10.4.11 will not recognize the IP address of either router. I have called their respective tech support services and gotten no relief. One actually said that my computer has the wrong IP address. :eek: Is that even possible? Unfortunately, the other computer that I want to put on the network is a PC, but is a work computer and work will not let me have the access code to upload anything.

What is the problem? :confused: Thanks.

2. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

You have to be more specific then this. What errors are you getting? When you say doesn't recognize the IP what do you mean (are you referring to DHCP not being automatically configured)? You can set your computer to access any IP address its just a matter of configuration. What you need to know is what the IP address of the router is and what the Domain is.

The routers IP should be something like 192.168.x.x or 10.0.x.x etc.

Cheers

3. hlywdbaldy thread starter macrumors newbie

When I spoke with the tech support, they had me hook up the router to the modem and computer, open Safari and put 192.168.1.1 in the ulr line. Got Connection Failure notice each time. As far as the IP and Domain of the router, since I was talking with Tech Support, I imagine they knew the info. In System Pref. under the TCP/IP tab, the IP address for the computer and for the router both begin with 69.235.x.x if that has any bearing. Is more information needed?

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Yes.

5. MacForScience macrumors 6502

MacForScience

Are you using DHCP?
    Did you get the right ethernet cords in the right ports? There should be a WAN port and a couple LAN ports on your router.
    Is your subnet mask correct probably something like 255.255.255.0?
    Does your network say its a self-assigned IP address?
    Did you ask what IP range the router distributes?
    Your router IP I bet is wrong because unless you changed router settings the IP should be 192.168.1.1 not 69.235...
    Are you properly distinguishing between internal and external IP address etc.?
    Lots more information needed.

Cheers