Getting off At&T

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stevey500, Mar 5, 2009.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

Sep 8, 2004
    Huntington, Utah
    I signed up for AT&T while disconnecting from Alltel 8 months ago.

I signed up in salt lake and got the 3G iphone. Works great up there, doesn't work very well at all in some places we go off-roading in the salt lake valley where I know my alltel service would have been pegged.

Going home, where all of my friends and family are just 2 hours away from salt lake in Emery/Carbon county utah, we have Sprint, Alltel, and Verizon covered everywhere here, Alltel was the best, if we all didn't have service, i always had service, if I DIDN'T have service when I was on alltel... it was just seriously weird.

Being on AT&T I have absolutely no data here, just EXTREMELY and unbearably slow GPRS(?) (the circle by the AT&T logo in the corner). Making a call means I have to go outside to resist crackling and drops. My phone rarely rings, after I miss a call i didn't know i got, i get notifications for voicemails up to a day later. If I go 2 miles out to the desert, no signal. When I was on alltel, it was 5 bars all the way through our desert all the way to moab without a problem.

My friend holly, on T-mobile... She is roaming but isn't charged for it, she has service mostly everywhere, my AT&T service doesn't compare. More bars in more places my a**.

So, I'm thinking I should switch to t-mobile and AT&T has absolutely no records of any towers what so ever near my area at all coming up within the next 12 months (that's as far as they plan i suppose).

Good idea? I think so.
  2. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Apr 10, 2003
    The "Garden" state
    Sure. As long as you live in the area with no towers you would qualify for a non-ETF cancellation.

One suggestion: why not trial t-mobile for 30 days before cancelling AT&T and porting your number? That way you can make sure the service is truly better for your needs. :)