Getting old - how to upgrade from 4.2.1 to 4.3.3

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by stix666, Aug 4, 2011.

1. stix666 macrumors regular

I have a factory-unlocked iPhone 4 on 4.2.1. How do I upgrade to 4.33? I tried downloading the ipsw for iphone3,1_4.3.3_8j2_restore.ipsw and alt-clicking the update button but get the error message "The iPhone xxxxx could not be updated. This device isn't eligible for the requested build"

Any ideas? TIA

2. forcetactic macrumors 6502

If you didn't save your SHSH blobs, you can't upgrade to 4.3.3 atm. Only can upgrade to latest which is 4.3.5 (tethered jb)

3. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

If you have previously jailbroken the phone you may have SHSH blobs. Open Cydia and check the display right at the top and it will tell you which versions of IOS it has SHSH blobs for. If Cydia has them you can restore to any version for which You have SHSH blobs.

If you have them and need more info come back to forum.

4. stix666 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys.

I've never jail broke this phone. Is it possible with the firmware at 4.2.1, saving the SHSH blobs, then upgrading to 4.3.3?

5. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

You can't get SHSH blobs you either 1: aren't running the iOS version you want SHSH for or 2: apple isn't signing currently.

It is worth a check with Tinyumbrella to request through cydia and see what they have just in case something is out there.

6. budgynana, Aug 4, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

budgynana macrumors member

To clarify, and for extra info... you need SHSH blobs anytime you perform a restore or update. Apple only ever provide blobs for the current iOS so if they were on, for example, 4.5 then you would only be able to get blobs for 4.5 and so that would be the only iOS option available to you. Apple are your only source for these period.

If you look up an application called iFaith then you can use that to pull the current SHSH blob from your phone. If your phone is on iOS 4.2.1 then iFaith can extract the blob for 4.2.1. But that's the only blob it can get, it won't be able to get the blob for something that isn't on your phone. Once you have a blob, as long as you keep it safe and handy or it's saved through Cydia, then you can come back to 4.2.1 at any time no matter what iOS Apple are currently on - this is even if the current iOS is 4.5. If Apple were still on 4.2.1 then you could manually save blobs for 4.2.1 anytime using TinyUmbrella but they aren't so all you'd be able to get is the blobs for 4.5 (I know this doesn't exist but it's the point that counts).

I STRONGLY recommend you look up iFaith and use it IMMEDIATELY. If you upgrade without getting the blob then there will be no way back and you will be stuck waiting for the next full jail break.

Once that's done then use TinyUmbrella to get the 4.3.5 blobs and keep an eye on updates and use TinyUmbrella to get those once they come out - you'll need to get a new TinyUmbrella for every update.

7. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I strongly recommend that you do some serious research before trying iFaith, both within this forum and outside it. There have been many reports of problems from people trying to restore with the tool (including the latest version), though it has indeed worked for some, and the blobs it produces are ONLY compatible with that tool. You will not be able to use them with a more reliable/less buggy tool, such as Redsn0w. Additionally, blobs saved with each revision of iFaith may not be usable with the next one--that apparently happened with a number of people during one change. Another revision produced a lot of corrupt blobs that could not be restored from. In short, it's not the miracle it's made out to be, yet.

I'm not saying don't use it at all, because some have had a good experience with it. But just like most anything else related to jailbreaking, people who choose to use it really need to do their homework beforehand so they know what to expect and how to handle it if (when) something goes sideways.

Good or bad, if you use it, please do post how it worked for you. It's one of those tools that would be invaluable if the Dev ever gets it working consistently.