Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vicarious Ink

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 15, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen,

This is my first post here, but I have been lurking around for a while. (I get bored and like to read the forums from time to time) I decided to step up my video editing and 3D Modeling/FX editing. I have been using mt 6-core PC for a while but it's not cutting it (as you would obviously think).

I am looking at getting the following:

# One 2.8GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon “Nehalem”
# 6GB (3x2GB)
# 1TB 7200-rpm Serial ATA 3Gb/s hard drive
# Two ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
# One 18x SuperDrive
# Apple LED Cinema Display (27" flat panel)
# Apple Magic Mouse + Magic Trackpad
# Apple Keyboard with Numeric Keypad

I was going to ask you all suggestions if I would need anything like this or if there is another set up that might work well for me for now. I usually upgrade every 2-3 years. (Verging more on 2 now) I would love the input.

If the above set up was not good enough, I was thinking about uping to the 8-Core, but I do not know yet.

Thanks for all the fun times.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
I'd pass on the apple display, and just use whatever monitor you have been using. $1000 is a lot for a monitor. You may want to spend that on a processor upgrade, as going from a 6 core to a 4 core would be a significant step down.

ReanimationLP

macrumors 68030
Jan 8, 2005
On the moon.
I'd pass on the apple display, and just use whatever monitor you have been using. $1000 is a lot for a monitor. You may want to spend that on a processor upgrade, as going from a 6 core to a 4 core would be a significant step down.

Unless his 6-core is a Phenom 2, at which point this is a step up.

alust2013

macrumors 601
Feb 6, 2010
On the fence
Yeah, which it is.

I dropped the Monitor and picked up the 8-Core Processor

I think that about covers it now.

I'm not sure that the 8-core will actually benefit you though. It has a low clock speed, and while it has many cores, not a whole lot of apps take advantage of that. I'd recommend the 6-core or the upgraded quad over the 8 for most uses.

Umbongo

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2006
England
Yeah, which it is.

I dropped the Monitor and picked up the 8-Core Processor

I think that about covers it now.

Uh yeah, the 8-core may be a step down from the quad core. If you are going to stretch to the 8-core then go for the 3.33GHz 6-core. The 8-core is really for those who want more than 32GB of memory. Also two 5770s will only benefit you with multiple displays.

The best all round Mac Pro you can build with budget concerns is a 3.33GHz 6-core with Radeon 5870 and using 3rd party memory in either 3x8GB or 3x4GB DIMMs, an SSD drive and a couple of mechanical drives for storage. If you can afford that then it should be highly considered.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.