Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PJ-Graphix

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 24, 2012
Hello, i am still contemplating purchasing a rMBP. i know there are ways to get disc software onto a rMBP, like opting for the USB SuperDrive or purchasing a similar device on amazon for less money. and i have heard that if you have another computer on the same network you can "share" that computers optical drive...

my question is this. if i have a disc, for example, the adobe creative suite products, that is strictly for Mac computer. and i only have a pc available to put that disc in the optical drive, will the rMBP be able to use the contents of that disc, or will the fact that it is a MAC disc inside a PC mess up what i am trying to accomplish?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
my question is this. if i have a disc, for example, the adobe creative suite products, that is strictly for Mac computer. and i only have a pc available to put that disc in the optical drive, will the rMBP be able to use the contents of that disc, or will the fact that it is a MAC disc inside a PC mess up what i am trying to accomplish?
It should work just fine. Users of Macs without optical drives can either buy an Apple USB SuperDrive or use DVD or CD sharing via Remote Disc when they need access to an optical drive.

crazyk4952

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2011
Hello, i am still contemplating purchasing a rMBP. i know there are ways to get disc software onto a rMBP, like opting for the USB SuperDrive or purchasing a similar device on amazon for less money. and i have heard that if you have another computer on the same network you can "share" that computers optical drive...

I got one of these from amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SE-20...id=1343411608&sr=8-3&keywords=samsung+usb+dvd). It works just fine and is a lot cheaper than an Apple SuperDrive.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Hi guys,

So does this mean I can put an internal drive from my mac pro into an enclosure then plug it into the rmbp?

(I want to sell the pro as soon as laptop arrives)

You probably could. Though I think you'd be better off getting a notebook drive in an enclosure just so you can power it off the USB port.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.