Getting original iPhone to work

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by XboxEvolved, Oct 14, 2011.

1. XboxEvolved macrumors regular

So I bought an original iPhone from a guy at work for $30 I figured what the hell. It has no sim card and the phone had a passcode so it needed to be restored. I got a sim card in for $15 and now I can't figure out what to do. I have read this and that about doing it. Essentially, it has a sim card never been used before, and a restored iPhone. So what can I do?

2. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Put it into DFU mode, hook it up with iTunes and ITunes will restore it to the latest firmware which is 3.1.3.

3. Trauma1 macrumors 6502a

If the phone is carrier locked and you're on a different carrier, you will need to jailbreak and unlock (through BootNeuter).

4. XboxEvolved thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so I have not tried DFU exactly yet but, when with the sim card activated it shows "AT&T E" on the phone. When connecting to iTunes it wants me to pick a plan. I have not yet picked a pay as you go plan on AT&T's website. What do I do from here to get it going?

5. XboxEvolved thread starter macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Basically I want to
    Bypass where in iTunes it wants me to pick a plan and just use pay as you go on at&ts website I just don't want to pay for it and not know if it will work. Help would be appreciated.

6. Crystal-RX macrumors 68030

Crystal-RX

Use rednsn0w 0.9.2 to jailbreak and unlock it at the same time, it will by pass the activation process and bring your phone to home screen. You will then can put in any GSM sim as you want.

Here is tutorial for it;

http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=7436