Getting out of AT&T Contract?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wvuwhat, Jun 17, 2010.

1. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

So, I've been an iPhone user since they came out. I was lined up every release and luckily was able to get every one.

However, my 2 year contract is up on 1/16/2011, so I'm S.O.L. with the iPhone 4. I pay my parents bill, we are all under a family plan, so that may throw a kink into it, I'll have to check when they are out from under the contract, but I think I'm good.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks to hop out of my contract? I want the new Droid X off of Verizon. I have been contemplating Verizon for the longest time, but now that I'm traveling on the Metro here in D.C. at least 3 times a week, I realllllllly want Verizon, because they offer service underground on it.

I can't help but think that because of the rate hike on my iPhone data plan, not to mention my iPad I would be able to jump to V.

Any help?

2. Surely Guest

Surely

You can pay the ETF to end your contract.

You signed it.........

3. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

And I was more than happy to sign and keep my word. However, life changes have made it not feasible in my situation.

Plus, I'm one of those "heavy users," that ATT decided to hose in this last rate hike.

Let's just say I'm not very happy about it.

And the Droid X looks kinda sexy...

http://www.engadget.com/2010/06/17/the-droid-x-gets-real-on-verizon/

4. Surely Guest

Surely

You know you're allowed to keep your unlimited data, right?

5. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Really? I was out of the country previous to the June 7th cutoff? (or whenever the cutoff was).

Am I able to give them a call and talk to customer service?

However, I'm more concerned with being able to surf on the Metro. It kinda sucks not being able to do anything online while I'm on there for 30 minutes a day x's 2 for my commute. (Yes, I know I never have been able to, but after a friend rubbing it in my face, I want it now.)

6. Surely Guest

Surely

If you already have an iPhone, you can keep your current unlimited data plan. If you decide to downgrade to another plan, you cannot switch back to unlimited.

This should really be in the iPhone forum.

7. wvuwhat thread starter macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

Actually, I was looking for thoughts from other ATT jumpers, hence not putting this in the iPhone forum.

I never want to visit the iPhone forum again. I'm hoping my 3GS just becomes my new Touch.

8. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You can join the military and get deployed. That's about the only way I know of that you can terminate your contract early without paying the ETF.

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

The 3 ways to get out of your contract ETF-free are to join the military and get deployed overseas, move out of the country, or die.

10. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

They really let you out of your contract if you die? :)

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

There's no way out of a binding contract. You need to either pay the ETF as others stated or move out of the country.

Anyways did you check on how much your ETF is at this point, I'd gather its probably only around hundred bucks. That is if you're thinking of only moving your one line, if you're moving the entire family over, then that will get pricey.

My suggestion is to live with it until your contract expires.

Another solution is to pickup a Nexus one, its a bit pricey because its unlocked, but you stay on AT&T's contract, you get an android based phone which is what I think you're angling for.

Either way, a contract is a contract and it doesn't matter if "life changes" you, me, we all are bound by what we sign. You do have an exit, but as mentioned it will cost you.