Getting Out of ATT contract. Advice?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Visionblue, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Visionblue macrumors member

I recently moved to the US Virgin Islands and have since received a plethora of surcharges from ATT. Some from "roaming" (even though the USVI are on the coverage map) and numerous other penalties (I had a 1 month extention on my phone bill between paychecks and had service terminated after 15 days, then received a 45 reconnect fee). I'm not here to bad mouth ATT as many people either love them or hate them. Simply put after talking to numerous service reps it has been determined that my bill for a single line will be about 130 a month for last month, this month and next month each. That's almost 400 for 3 billing cycles with shoddy coverage at best. Does anyone have experience or advice getting out of their contract with a partial or total discount on the ETF?

Happy New Year

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Call them and explain that you moved to a location where they don't have service. You should be able to avoid any ETF

3. AutoUnion39 macrumors 601

AutoUnion39

If you were roaming, then you would need to be more careful with your phone.

Turn off data roaming in your settings, for example. There are many ways to avoid that. AT&T even has a feature they can add on your account that changes the name of the network to Roaming, for those who need to be careful. You just have to ask customer service.

And I'm not sure they'll let you out of the contract. No provider lets you do that. You moved there. They didn't make you move there, you did. I remember Sprint has a loophole where you roam on VZW too much and they let you go, but VZW/AT&T aren't that generous.

Best best would be to call 611 and escalate the issue in customer retentions. They might be able to help you out.

Good luck!