getting panic message during snow leopard installation ? please help ?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by bindudhindsa, Apr 10, 2012.

1. bindudhindsa macrumors newbie

My hard drive crashed , replaced new hard drive, trying to install it MAC OSx snow leopard on new hard drive. whenever i boot it from disc i am getting this panic message. I am attaching picture of panic message. please help

Attached Files:

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

It appears that you are trying to use a retail installation disc on a machine that requires 10.6.4 or later.

3. bindudhindsa thread starter macrumors newbie

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Early 2011) , this is the information i got from apple support site, DVD i am using 10.6 snow leopard i borrowed from my friend. its not same disc which came with this laptop. unfortunately i lost the discs. how can i check if hard drive is properly installed ?

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You have to use the discs that came with your Macbook Pro. The disc you are using has a Mac OS X version that is too old for your machine.

5. bindudhindsa thread starter macrumors newbie

could you please tell me how can i check what is the model number of my macbook pro .. i checked apple website and checked this link
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4132
    They just explained when macbook pro is working okay , what if we need some parts from macbook pro and for some reason MBP is not working at all. At bottom panel it only tells model number is A1278. but when i checked this link i cannot find anything with this number.
    So could you please tell me how can i identify the model number without turning on my MBP.

6. Ccrew macrumors 68020

If it's a Macbook purchased since April of last year it originally came with either Snow Leopard 10.6.6 or Lion. Subsequently you'll either need to do an internet restore of Lion, or if you're determined to get Snow Leopard on it you'll have to get a 10.6.6 or better build. Highest retail build is 10.6.3

Alternatively call Apple and buy replacement restore discs (if Snow Leopard - Lion comes with none) or get another Mac with a 10.6.6 + build and install using target disc mode