Getting 'panic: we are hanging here'

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jacksk58, Feb 11, 2008.

1. jacksk58 macrumors newbie

I recently tried to apply an combo 10.3.9 update to my 10.3 Mac OS X 'Panther' G3 iMac.

I started receiving the panics.

I tried all of the possible key combos - only safe mode worked.
    and so does Open Firmware

The CD's I have are not bootable.

By following some instructions on the Internet -- that if you renamed /Library/*.plist files to something else it would default to factory settings and boot up.

I renamed all */Library/* to */OldLibrary/*.

Now I can't even get safe mode to come back - I get more panics now.

I can see the files in those directories I renamed when I navigate through Open Firmware.

I would at least like to get back to safe mode for now.

My question is:

Through Open Firmware, is there a way to rename the directories?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

Ok, if I'm reading it correctly, you renamed the entire /Library folder /OldLibrary? If so, I'm not surprised your system wouldn't boot--you didn't move the preferences, you moved the entire system Library folder.

What you wanted to do was clean out or otherwise move the contents of /Library/Preferences/ to see if the problem was settings related. Generally I haven't known that to be a case of panics, but I suppose it's possible.

I'm not sure if Open Firmware can get to the file structure, but here's a resource on what, in theory, it can do:
    http://www.firmworks.com/QuickRef.html

If you do manage to get /Library back where it's supposed to be and get into Safe Mode, you might try both repairing permissions and redownloading and re-applying the combo update; in at least some cases I've heard of that fixing things. Can't hurt, anyway.