Getting past bandwidth speed limit

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iVikD, Oct 15, 2011.

1. iVikD macrumors regular

iVikD

I've been looking around for a good app that will let me get past my university's download speed limit (50 kb/s), but haven't found one... Could someone with experience using proxies and the like point me in the right direction?
    The main reason I need the higher download speed is that I don't have an internet connection back home, so the university's wifi is all I've got, and as a systems engineering student, I need to have access to better speeds than what they're currently allowing me.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Then ask your IT department. If you have a legitimate "need" for higher speeds, they'll be able to help you out.

3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says...as miles01110 has said, contact your IT department. Be prepared to to make your case with concise and relevant info (ie, not just "I need" or "I want"), maybe prepare some kind of basic "business plan" sort of thing. You're going to need to show just why you should be treated as "special" above the others on the school's network. Hacking around their limits is just as likely to get you banned from the network if you're found trying to hack past their proxies.

Remember, their bandwidth is there for everyone, and putting a blanket cap on it may just be their way of avoiding the inevitable charges of favoritism if they give more to some over others...oh yeah!

4. iVikD thread starter macrumors regular

iVikD

Yes, I have tried this... They weren't too understanding or well-mannered in their response.

5. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

That's unfortunate. You're out of luck then.

6. iVikD thread starter macrumors regular

iVikD

:[ well, thanks for the replies nonetheless.