Getting past information from restored iphone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Adam D, Jul 28, 2010.

1. Adam D macrumors newbie

Just wondering if it is possible to retreve text messages from an iphone which has recently been restored? Not the general users but other means such as the police? I know some things can be traced through the network provider and through the back up made (if one was made). I know it can be quite a simple process for a computer but i am thinking it would be pretty difficult if at all possible to get history back from the phone (text messages and web history?)

Thanks.

2. CSMchris376 macrumors regular

My understanding of the restore process, the iPhone is flashed and erases all content and OS, the new OS is loaded to the phone. If the phone is set up as a new phone and not from a backup, then none of the old data remains on the phone.

As far as LE getting any kind of text access, the carriers record only shows the phone number the text was sent to or received from, there is no record of the actual conversation. Also, it would require a subpoena to be sent from LE to the carrier, and those can be difficult to get without probable cause.