Getting PC games to work on Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BobHarris, Mar 7, 2008.

1. BobHarris macrumors newbie

Hi, I just recently purchased a Macbook Pro for my college major this year. I had a PC before it, but it crashed and I dont want to have to buy another one since I already payed $2000+ for the Macbook Pro. I have a few PC games that I would still like to play.

So I used Boot Camp to put Windows Vista on my Mac then installed the games to it. The three games I put on Vista were Half-Life, The Longest Journey and Grim Fandango. So after installing each of them I tried to play them to make sure they worked. Both Grim Fandango and The Longest Journey started to load the game but were interrupted with an error message, not allowing me to play. Half-Life on the other hand loads and plays perfectly.

So my question is, is there some way for me to play the two games that didnt work? If so how can I get them to work. The only reason I put Vista on was so I could play those games. And if I cant get them to work I'm probably just gonna take Vista off of my Mac. Thanks for your help!

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. BobHarris thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for helping so quickly, I'll try those patches and see if they work.

4. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

I beat grim fandango last summer in Vista, so it obviously works. I dont remember if I did anything special, but even my 360 controller worked.

5. BobHarris thread starter macrumors newbie

I got Grim Fandango to work, but the Longest Journey site is messed up so I cant get the patch. I'll try looking for it at another. Thanks for the help again!

6. bigmnallstar macrumors newbie

hi, i want to know if company of heroes for the imac.

7. LtRammstein macrumors 6502a

LtRammstein

Wrong thread perhaps?

You running Windows on your iMac or you looking to see if CoH is Mac native? Either way, you probably want to Google.

8. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

9. bigmnallstar macrumors newbie

10. bigmnallstar macrumors newbie

im trying to do bootcamp to get windows then would coh work?
    thanks

11. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Worked just fine for me ages ago on my iMac.

12. Markov macrumors 6502

Markov

Trying running it in compatibility mode. Right click on the icon, properties, compatibility. It was released in 1998, so try running it as if it was running in Windows 98 se.

13. Brother Michael macrumors 6502a

Brother Michael

The Longest Journey is available on Steam. See if you are able to enter in a serial code or something from your original game and be able to play it through Steam.

I have to believe that would take care of any compatibility issues you would be facing.

14. DavidZ.YLoh macrumors newbie

I think you better get Windows XP on your bootcamp :) And wait...:cool: do you insert your mac os x install disc after you install bootcamp. This is necessary because this will install your graphic, sound driver etc :D:apple: