getting PC to "see" touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by joeliethegoalie, Nov 23, 2007.

1. joeliethegoalie macrumors member

I'm visiting my parents and have the password to their wi-fi, but am getting the "can't find the server" message.

Is there something I can do on my parents' computer (they're running Vista)in order to get onto their wi-fi?

Thanks in advance.

2. nimicus macrumors newbie

They may have their wireless internet encrypted and for that you will need the WEP key and be allowed access to the wi-fi. The second thing is that they're running Vista, as of right now Vista is extremely buggy! You're truly better off running XP right now on a cpu imo. Give Vista a year or two to get the kinks worked out and I think it will be a decent OS for cpu users.

3. joeliethegoalie thread starter macrumors member

I've already entered the password and in Settings the Touch is showing as being connected.

The issue arises when I try to go anywhere on Safari. I get a "can't find the server" message. I've had that issue before and recall reading somewhere on here that the issue may lie with the Touch needing to be added to the server's allowed devices list or something like that. That's what I'm looking for help on.

As for XP over Vista, I'm with you. But I'm only here for the weekend and Vista's what they've got. Any other ideas?

4. lena macrumors newbie

Credit goes to 'Justin Gould' in the Apple Support Discussion for iPod touch (http://discussions.apple.com/category.jspa?categoryID=221) (which, by the way is an excellent source of information!). I had the same issue you did (although with an iMac/OS X.4.11), and tried what he suggested, and it works great now. Good luck!

"I had this a lot when I first bought my Touch.

I found that it was DNS lookup problems because the router wasn't set as a DNS relay or the supplied DNS servers sucked.

Having the OpenDNS servers details at hand in my wallet has saved me plenty times...

https://www.opendns.com/start

Put 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 in to the DNS bit on wi-fi settings and it should help.
    That and stay in range of the router signal."

5. hecks macrumors regular

Firstly, you can ignore the silly comments about Vista, since they're totally irrelevant here. You're trying to connect to your home router, and not their PC (it appears). Secondly, you wouldn't be able to connect via WiFi at all if your iPod was excluded by MAC address filtering ("allowed devices" list). So yes - DNS probs seem tio be the issue, try the above solution.

If you *are* trying to connect via an ad-hoc connection to the PC for some reason, make sure it has Internet Connection Sharing enabled.