Getting PDF's to the iPad 2

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by ISO:HELP, Apr 24, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ISO:HELP macrumors regular

ISO:HELP

Hello everyone I just bought an ipad 2..

I have a ton of pdf's on my macbook, where/how can i add them to my ipad2?

is this possible...

Thank/cheers

ed

2. patrickj macrumors regular

Yes you can definitely do this. You'll need an app on the iPad that handles PDF viewing and editing. There are many around - two of the best I've seen are GoodReader and PDF Expert.

In iTunes when you iPad is connected to your PC, go to the Apps tab and scroll down and you'll see the File Sharing section. You can drag files to there to share them to your iPad.

You could also look at online file sync services like Dropbox if you prefer not to have to connect your iPad to a PC,

3. ISO:HELP thread starter macrumors regular

Hey there patrick thanks for the response

so my next question is that has anyone here ever pulled pdf's from a third party put them on a macbook>ipad 2?

Is that possible?

4. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Another option is to install iBooks. Then you drag your PDF files into iTunes, go to the "books" tab among your iPad tabs in iTunes, and check "sync books." Then your PDF files show up in the "PDF" collection within iBooks.

5. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Goodreader is outstanding for PDF's because it also allows for extensive types of annotation. Within this app, you can also elect to download a pdf from other servers, including dropbox, MobileMe's iDisk, or a any webpage. This would be a great method for retrieving a document from a third party.

You can also transfer to your Mac both wirelessly and via USB; to me this is the "must-have" App for the iPad. The developer keeps updating, providing more and more useful features.

6. ISO:HELP, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2011

ISO:HELP thread starter macrumors regular

I just bought the good reader for ipad app..

seems reasonable for only 5 bucks..

now i need to figure out how to use it...
    I'm sure ill like it..

EDIT: I see no file sharing section in the apps tab...Little confused
    ill keep messing with it...
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for all the help everyone!

7. laurenr macrumors 6502a

You can achieve the file sharing feature wirelessly. With the Goodreader App open, click on the Wireless icon on the bottom toolbar, and follow the onscreen instructions:

gdrdr.jpg

on your computer, you would select the option "Connect to server" and enter the address that Goodreader shows you on your ipad:

gdrdr2.jpg

For a hard-wired USB connection via iTunes, here is a picture from Goodreader's website, which shows the "file sharing" function and setup:

iTunesUSBScreenshot.jpeg

Hope that's all clear.:) Once you get the hang of it, this App will prove invaluable to you!

Edit: just to be sure, a copy and paste of their instructions which apply to the last pic I posted:

"

To transfer files with iTunes program:

*start iTunes on your computer (make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes)
    *connect your iPad / iPhone / iPod touch to your computer via USB cable
    *click on your device's name on the left pane of iTunes window
    *select the Apps tab on the right pane of iTunes window
    *scroll the window down till you find the File Sharing section

*select GoodReader in the list of apps that support iTunes File Sharing
    in GoodReader Documents window you will find documents stored in "My Documents" folder of GoodReader
    *drop your files to this window, and they will be immediately transferred to GoodReader
    *you can drop bunches of files, there's no need to drop them one by one
    Apple has chosen not to allow dropping folders to this window, so drop only files (you can ZIP your folders and transfer ZIP-archives with iTunes, those ZIP-archives can be later unzipped inside GoodReader).
    *you can also transfer files and folders in the opposite direction - from GoodReader to computer
    *all files that you transfer with iTunes will appear in My Documents folder of GoodReader.
    *You can use GoodReader's File Management tools later to move those files to any subfolder inside GoodReader."

8. techguy40 macrumors regular

Why do you need Goodreader app when Dropbox will let you open the .pdf in the ipad?

9. DukeOfHunslet macrumors member

Am I missing the point here?

When I want to put a PDF on my iPad I just drag it into the 'Books' folder in iTunes and then select it to be sync'd next time I connect it to my Mac...

10. laurenr macrumors 6502a

Goodreader has the ability to edit PDF's, making it more functional than an App that can only read them.

11. wallstreetcrash macrumors regular

Another way is to just email the PDF to yourself, then load it up in Mail, then Open with iBook, GoodReader etc and it will be saved.

12. Jez(UK) macrumors newbie

That simple piece of information was all I needed to learn as a new iPad owner who was going absolutely nuts as to why I couldn't see my PDFs.

I joined this website simply to thank you for the time you save me with that little nugget of info.

Even a very 'trying' phone call to Apple Technical Support (90 day assistance) didn't work this one out (though he was very quick to tell me I needed to purchase an app to read my pdfs.......).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.