Getting Permission for My Vista External Harddrive Using My Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by BenniBee, Mar 12, 2013.

1. BenniBee macrumors newbie

About four years ago I had a Dell PC laptop with Windows Vista. My dogs knocked it off the table and broke the charger port off the mother board. Instead of buying a new mother board (the repair guy refused to just repair the port on the mother board) he transferred my Vista hard drive to a NexStar CX external hard drive closure. I then purchased a Mac.

I was able to write files from my Mac to the (now) external hard drive until I did a presentation and plugged the external hard drive into the venue's PC. The permission or owner must have changed because now I only have reading permission, no writing ability to the external hard drive. I would just say "screw it" and buy a new external hard drive, but I'm strapped for cash at the moment and this Vista external hard drive has 250 GB left on the disk. My Mac's hard drive is getting a little crowded (I am down to 20 GB on a 111 GB hard drive for the Mac).

Can anyone explain how I can take ownership or permission over my Vista external hard drive using my Mac?

Mac specs:
    MacBook
    Mac OS X 10.5.8

2. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

Chances are there was a driver installed such as NTFS3g that allowed you write access to the NTFS partition, which your current machine does not have. By default, OS X can read NTFS partitions, but cannot write to them, so it does not sound like an error. It sounds like the third party software that allowed writing to NTFS is no longer on your PC.