Getting Photos off phone that uses iCloud

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by westrock2000, Jul 10, 2015.

1. westrock2000 macrumors 6502

I am having a very hard time figuring this out.

My wife has a 16GB iPhone. I got her the upgraded iCloud storage because I thought it would allow her to manage her photos without eating up the space on the phone.

Her phone now has 2200 photos and 70 videos and is completely full. If I plug in to the Mac, Image Capture will not allow any photos to be downloaded (shows nothing on the device). Since I have my own iCloud account, thats what Photos is using, so I can't directly import them into Photos. If I go to iCloud website I can select all 2200 images and hit download but then OSX want to open EACH photo in Preview as it downloads and I can't find a way to stop this.

So how in the world am I supposed to get pictures off the iPhone and put them into my library :(

Im ok with the iCloud website method, but opening each picture automatically is dumb.

At this point it seems like it would be EASIER to cancel iCloud for her just periodically unload on the Mac like I used to.

I thought that using iCloud would keep the full quality original on the cloud and just keep a low quality "thumbnail" on her device so that she could have a bunch of photos on the phone.

2. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch

Assuming you're using IPL on the phone, you have to enable "optimize photos" in settings>photos. That will compress the size on her phone while keeping the originals in the cloud.

3. westrock2000 thread starter macrumors 6502

Whats IPL?

4. simon lefisch macrumors 6502a

simon lefisch