Getting pics off of a dvd - good ripper?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by CarsonS, Apr 5, 2012.

1. CarsonS macrumors newbie

HI
    I have a DVD that has a slideshow of my daughter's hockey team. I need to get the pics off so I can redo the slideshow - I've tried a couple of different rippers - Handbreak and Wondershare - both work but the quality of the pics is very poor. Is there anything out there that would do a decent job?

Or does anyone know a way to add music to a project in idvd? - I have it saved there but don't have the pics anymore from iphoto.

Thanks for your help

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

You can't add music to an iDVD project. You have to add it before it gets to iDVD.

3. floh macrumors 6502

I'm sorry to say this, but if you grab the pictures from a DVD, they will be of poor quality, no matter what software you use. :(

A DVD has a resolution of 720x576 pixels, and even most cellphone cameras do way better today. The image is also highly compressed by the MPEG2 codec. So everything you will get will look awful as a single image.

If you still want to try it, you can just play the DVD back with the VLC player and press Cmd+Alt+S for a snapshot of each image when you see it on screen. That's very fast and easy and I don't think you'll get much better quality than that...

4. CarsonS thread starter macrumors newbie

I feared as much but thanks much for the time anyways.