Getting ps3 or xbox to read external HD formatted for mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Campbell80, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Campbell80 macrumors member

Hi there,

I have a portable external hard drive formatted for mac and I want to be able to view my movies that are on it through my games console. I believe both consoles only read Fat 32 so what are my options to get the consoles to read the HD?

Cheers for any help.

2. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

You'll have to copy all of your data off the drive then format it to FAT32 before copying everything back over. This is why i only format my external drives to FAT32 (or ntfs if i need it to hold large files).

3. Campbell80 thread starter macrumors member

Is that my only option? And if I want to add a new movie to it daily then this is going to a lot of bother?

4. Campbell80 thread starter macrumors member

Also if I do format it to FAT32 can my mac still read and function properly with this eg time machine software back-ups?

Cheers.

5. Corrosive vinyl macrumors 6502

Corrosive vinyl

It should work on both, my USB jump drive is formatted in FAT32 and works on both systems.

6. Rellikard macrumors newbie

FAT32 will only get you to 387GB(if not that exactly, around that). Won't format to anything above. Either way you'll need a program. Can download Partition Wizard 5 Free edition on a Windows machine and format it there. Otherwise Disk Management in Windows will only format up to 32GB for you.

7. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Disk Utility can create partitions easily enough, and can probably resize the HFS partition thats already there if you want to keep it instead of going all FAT32.

8. Campbell80 thread starter macrumors member

Can I create a partition for my extra 100ish gb and format it to mac for files and stuff etc?

Thanks

9. Campbell80 thread starter macrumors member

Forgot to mention, HD is 500gb so just don't know what I can do with that spare memory