Getting raw pulse data from Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by swingerofbirch, Mar 11, 2015.

1. swingerofbirch macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    I was hoping Apple would give more details on what sort of data you can get from the Apple Watch. It seems like you can view your pulse in real time with a Glance and that it also affects whether you meet goals for Moving and Exercise.

The problem for someone like me is that I have dysautonomia (specifically POTS--postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome). I reach 90% of my maximum heart rate from taking a shower. I've worn 48 hour holter monitors and my average pulse when standing upright is in the 130s-140s. Getting raw data off the watch would be interesting to me, but if their algorithm is such that a certain heart rate equals brisk activity, mine would constantly be in a state of brisk activity unless I am sitting or lying down when it returns to normal. So as cool as those three rings are, I doubt they would work for me in any meaningful way. I do recumbent exercise (reclining exercise bike), and right now I do spot checks with a pulse oximeter, but something that measures beat to beat that I could review afterward would be nice.

It seems like from what they have shown so far they are trying to interpret the data for users, but for me the raw data would be much more helpful.

2. FatMax macrumors 6502

FatMax

The way I understand it;

If you go to the pulse glance and press the button that reads your heart rate, then it will "record" that session (meaning how long you stare at the glance) and send that data (raw, as you call it) back to the Health app on the iPhone.

The circles in the Activity app are more about data from the accelerometer and gyroscope than the pulse meter.

Hope this helps.

3. swingerofbirch thread starter macrumors 68030

The Amalgamated States of Central North America
    Ahh, yes, that helps thanks. Hopefully some 3rd party apps will allow for longer recording.