Getting ready for 3.0 software on jailbroken 2nd gen iPod

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by aznkid25, Jun 7, 2009.

1. aznkid25 macrumors 6502

I currently have a jailbroken 2nd gen iPod touch. My question is, when I create a backup, does the back up include all my apps I got from cydia? If I were to restore my iPod from a backup, when I upgrade to 3.0, what would happen? Will it mess up my iPod?

2. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Nope, nothing from Cydia or your jailbroken apps are backed up. The only things that ARE backed up from a jailbreak is anything you've done to modify the battery icon in the upper right corner, and anything you might have changed the "iPod" text to (for example, my touch that I restored to legit firmware and then restored from backup was exactly the same as a brand new touch, except for the fact that tapping the battery would bring up a percentage meter and the other corner said "iVan" instead of "iPod" - apart from that no other remnants of the jailbreak will remain).

3. aznkid25 thread starter macrumors 6502

The only things that I changed on my ipod touch were:
    Alienware Battery icon when charging
    Transparent Dock
    Google StreetView Enabler
    NES
    Winterboard

Does this mean I should be fine when I upgrade to 3.0, or should I restore to 2.2.1, before upgrading?

4. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

well you can backup cydia stuff buuttt the problem will be compatibility with 3.0 so it may not be worth having apps installed for backup but themes should be fine.

you need to have aptbackup installed then open it click backup, then backup in iTunes, update to 3.0 (make sure you do not sync untill you have jailbroken), jailbreak 3.0, install aptbackup again then restore from backup and then open aptbackup and click on restore..... after a little while your iPod will restore and you should have everything back but again remember not all 2.0 apps will work in 3.0

5. aznkid25 thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking about completely getting rid of my jailbreak, and upgrading to 3.0. But my question was if I were to upgrade from a jailbroken 2.2.1 device to the 3.0 software, would it mess anything up.

6. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

It shouldn't. With 2.0 iTunes automatically restored the iPod (so remember to have all your music and videos backed up because they'll be wiped off the iPod during the update and you'll have to resync) before installing the upgrade. Seeing as how 3.0 is the next big upgrade I think the procedure would be the same - that iTunes will automatically restore it as part of the update process. Because restoring is how people remove any mods they've done, it the automatic restore will remove all the jailbreak stuff anyway.

7. andybno1 macrumors 68040

andybno1

soz I read the post but 3.0 and jailbroken stuck in my mind lol

8. AlphaTeam macrumors regular

AlphaTeam

Thanks good info. I can't wait for the new OS

9. iRyann macrumors regular

iRyann

Backup

An App called AppBackup on Cydia (Search AppBackup or Scott Wallace) looks pretty good.

'To back up all apps at once, tap All at the top left of the screen(of the app i presume) and select backup. To restore all apps that have been backed up at once, tap All and select Restore (you must have at least one app backed up in order to see this option'.

Will download and see if its worth using.