Getting ready for iPhone - Address book

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matthewHUB, Jun 16, 2007.

1. matthewHUB macrumors 6502

Hey guys...

OK so i figured i may as well get my Address Book all geared up ready for the iPhone launch (collating data from 2 phones, plus what i had on there already) and now i have a super amzing contact list for iPhone. i was wondering... Obviously a phone is a personal piece of technology, so having contacts such as "mum" or "dad" or "home" would be standard on anyone's phone i assume. However, the only way to do this with Address Book is to say that the contact is a company, and then give a name. Is this the only way around it? Seems a bit naf to have the "building" logo next to the names.

Also, i can't decide how i'm going to sort the contacts; by first name or last. At the moment, my phones sort by first name... so if i want to call Nick ____ i just scroll down to N. Would be a pain if i have to remember everyone's last name each time i want to call. It's a bit of a non-issue but i just wondered what you guys think.

Thanks.

M

2. lekun macrumors regular

I don't know if this is what you were asking, but you can add a field to any contact called "Nickname." So if your Dad's name is John Smith, you can add the nickname field and label it Dad. I don't know if iPhone will make use of this field, but it may be better than calling them companies.

3. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeh that could work... but will iPHone sort them Alphabetically by nickname, for those that have nicknames??

What does everyone else do for their phonebooks? how are they going to have theirs?

4. Gonzlobo Suspended

I thought this thread was too 'warm and fuzzy' for me, but I laughed and took a look at my phone's address book. All of the men are listed by last name (Jones Cell or Jones Desk) and all the girls are listed by first name (Monica Cell or Monica Desk).

My address book is sexist. :)

5. matthewHUB thread starter macrumors 6502

LOL. thanks though. Warm and fuzzy??? nah.. just practical! For me, my address book is very different from my contacts on my phone. I guess if you use a phone maily for work then it's ok... but for friends etc i always just use their first name, plus things like "home" for home, and "office" etc..

Anyone else?

6. moesker007 macrumors member

moesker007

I've been wondering the same thing. Some contacts of mine I don't even know their last name. I really hope there is an option to sort it by 1st name

7. terrrrrible macrumors regular

I'm going to guess that the Address Book on the iPhone will sync with the Address Book application on a Mac? I will probably start filling mine this week, so I don't have to go through the hassle of transferring all my numbers over through the SIM card and everything.

8. Eric1285 macrumors 6502

I know on my Windows Mobile Smartphone, I can go into the phone part of the software and just begin typing any part of someone's name. Then, it'll just show me names with whatever I typed in, so it doesn't really matter how I have them sorted.

9. chinarut macrumors member

I 2nd this vote - in Thailand, most Thais go by their nickname so the likelihood you dont know someone's first name is just as likely as not knowing their last name!

I particularly would love to see a feature along the lines of "if a contact's nickname exists, use this to sort" or perhaps a checkbox on a contact that implements "use nickname for display/sort"

now I'm curious if this is the kind of thing that can get "modded" on an iPhone!

10. cookie1105 macrumors 6502

you can set both the display and the sort order on the iPhone. It can be found under settings > contacts. The variables are first,last and last,first.

I don't know about nicknames. I'll have to give it a try later. As for me, for contacts like mum & dad I just use their full name and then get the phone to sort by first name. But if nicknames work I might have to change it.

11. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

iPhone settings didn't change.

I knew this was how to do it although when I changed the settings and did a sync on my iPhone it didn't actually change on the iPhone.
    I know I suck but I had a question and instead of starting a new thread I thought I'd piggy back on an older one. ;)

13. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Here is some info:
    http://www.apple.com/iphone/easysetup/getready.html