Getting Ready for Lion - Creating a Bootable USB Clone

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DCBass, Jul 7, 2011.

1. DCBass macrumors 6502

Hello All,

Before upgrading to Lion, I wanted to get a backup of my current computer since I don't have one yet (tsk, tsk, I know…). I have two questions related to making this happen.

First, I have a 2.4 GHz Core i5 MBP with a 320 GB HD running OSX 10.6.8. I plan on getting a 320GB external HD to create a bootable clone of my current system (not time machine).

The external drive I have my eyes on is the Seagate Freeagent GoFlex 320 GB USB 2.0 Ultra-Portable. Although I have no interest in the rest of the GoFlex system, the price and reviews on Amazon can't seem to be beat at $49.99. (LINK)

Are there any other good quality bus-powered external drives that I should be considering?

Second, I just learned that it's possible to create a bootable USB clone for an Intel Mac like mine (LINK), but I don't know anything about this GUID-thing.

What are the simplest steps I need to take to make a fresh external drive with a GUID partition, and an HFS+ journaled partition?

Or is this not necessary?

Or should I just go ahead and order the $20 FW800 GoFlex adapter? In that case, are there other similarly-priced (~$70 or less) bus-powered USB2 and/or FW hard drives I should consider?

Thanks everyone in advance for the feedback. I've always found that these forums are the best places to ask any tech questions.

Cheers,

DCBass

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Download CCC http://bombich.com/ and follow its directions.

B

3. DCBass thread starter macrumors 6502