Getting ready for Lion

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dwright1974, Jul 10, 2011.

1. dwright1974 macrumors 6502

dwright1974

Hello

As upgrading to Lion is going to be a relatively new process I'm doing 'pre-upgrade' tasks. Here is what I'm doing:

• Taking 2 Time Machine backups - one to a Time Capsule and one to a USB drive
    • Creating a Carbon Copy Clone of my Snow Leopard install
    • Repairing disk permissions (but see below!)
    • Manually copying important files (Home folder, photos, Aperture DB) to my NAS

Is there anything I'm missing?

Going back to repairing disk permissions. It did a pass which took about 16 minutes. I ran it again straight away and it is repairing permissions again, which is guestimated as taking 15 minutes. Is this usual or does it suggest Disk Utility can't repair them?

If that's the case, is there something I can do to fix it?

Thanks

- D

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

And so, what happened after the second pass? I've seen other reports from users that it took more than one pass to "clean up" everything. I wouldn't say it's usual, as in it should happen most of the time, but it's not unusual, as in it being unheard of.

3. ssdeg7 macrumors 6502a

ssdeg7

You should check if all your apps work with Lion, specially if they are PPC only.

Take a quick look at this website: http://roaringapps.com/

4. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

Having gone through this type of OS transition with Apple a few times over the decades I've used their computers, there is one critical ingredient you need.

Buckets of patience.

No joke. I don't "expect the worst" but I prepare for it, and that, has been priceless.

5. acurafan macrumors 6502a

never upgrade to x.x.0 software, from any vendor. that's my motto, wait to x.x.2 or x.x.3

6. ghsNick macrumors 68020

ghsNick

So I just got my Mac with SL...are you saying I need to do stuff before I upgrade OS?

I have my Time Machine backed up to my external hard drive...will I be able to use that with Lion?

I haven't downloaded many Apps but I do have VLC, The Unarchiver, Smart Converter, Microsoft Silverlight, GeekBench, DoublePane, Full Deck Solitaire, and 1Password.

Everything else is what came with SL...are these going to work or is Lion going to cause a problem?

Sorry to Hi-Jack thread...never had to upgrade an OS with a Mac since this is my fist one...Thanks in advance for replies.

7. old-wiz macrumors G3

ABSOLUTELY!!! never upgrade to x.x.0, whether it's Apple or anyone else! Even if the OS is working, you might have apps that haven't been updated yet to work with Lion. If you have a lot of 3rd party apps, and you upgrade to Lion and some of them fail..you'll have to wait for the 3rd party dev to fix it.

8. dwright1974 thread starter macrumors 6502

dwright1974

If we all thought like that then that would make life quite boring!!

Thanks to the wiki provided by @Ssdeg7 all of the apps I need day-to-day all work, or have been updated already (thanks Techsmith for Camtasia and SnagIt).

Looks like I'm good to go ... Thanks everyone for their input.

- D

9. Geneva Shen macrumors newbie

Geneva Shen

How about using 2nd boot drive?

When Leopard came out and my essential 3rd party apps weren't ready, I partitioned the HD into 2 boot drives -- 1 for Tiger, 1 for Leopard -- + a backup. So it registers as 3 drives. I haven't booted from the Tiger drive for ages, but I'm still using files & apps that are on there.

I'm not sure it that would be useful now, or not. Could I upgrade the Tiger OS to SL, then to Lion? Then I would still be able to use SL on its present drive, when necessary?
    :eek:

10. maclaptop macrumors 65816

maclaptop

You are so right, and I LOVE BORING... when it's in this context.

While the rest are screwing around trying to get things right, I will have my work done!

I'll be out in the sunshine going for a great mountain bike ride, in the hills behind my house...ha..ha..ha...

When I need a good laugh, I can come back to the forum and read about the shenanigans everyone is having to go through to finish the job Apple started :)

11. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

I use almost exclusively apple apps. I'm upgrading at least the day after it is released. (give servers time to unclog a little)