Getting ready to buy SR MB from Best Buy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Built, Dec 7, 2007.

1. Built macrumors 68020

Hey everybody...

I am finally getting ready to buy my first MB from Best Buy. I have to purchase from Best Buy, and not from the Apple Store, because I have several hundreds of dollars in Best Buy gift cards, and I would like to use them.

I have been reading these boards religiously since I made the decision to purchase, and you all have been really helpful. I have already purchased a Spire bag, a Speck cover, and Aussiebag sleeve, and a Bestskinsever skin, all with the input of the great folks on here.

Question...When I finally purchase my MB at Best Buy, if there is a problem with it within the 14 day return period, do you suggest I go back to Best Buy, or go to the Genius Bar? I know...stupid question...but it occurred to me that I should be prepared in case I have any of the problems reported on here with the SR MB.

Thanks in advance.

2. kkat69 macrumors 68020

kkat69

Since I refuse to buy something like a MB from BB (or any computer for that matter) you might have to ask them. I'm sure someone here has had experience with it but a quick phone call would answer your question within minutes.

As far as:
    Some of these issues are Leopard related.

Also another thing to keep in mind is make sure you fully understand BB's support regarding Macs. What to expect if anything does happen and how long you'll be out of pocket without one. I've heard horror stories of both Apple store and BB and experienced BB's support and I actually prefer Apple.

Though I understand why you must go to BB (makes sense) you'll be better off going there in person and asking lots of questions.

3. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

Best Buy: Don't Do It!

Dude,
    dont buy from best buy. A BIG part of the Mac experience is the Apple Store. Best Buy is a company of whores who just sell boxes for the lowest possible price and they don't care how much of *your* time they waste and they don't care about your experience with the computer.

Computers are not stereos. They are complex and require service sometimes. Even if you are a computer wiz, you will appreciate your mac more if you know there are capable and well equipped staff to assist you should the need arise.

If you are a computer wiz, get a job at the Apple store but steer clear of best buy and the geek squad! It is not worth the few hundred dollars. Get a carry case or some blank dvd-r media with your best buy cards!

4. steve31 macrumors 6502a

steve31

I bought my MB and MBP at Best Buy. No problems here but if you have any problems within the first 14 days I would take it back to Best Buy and exchange it "no questions asked". Just dont let them talk you into buying there "extended warranty" because there techs dont know crap about a mac. Buy the extended warranty thru Apple. Very happy with my MB.. so far zero problems. Try to get 4gb of ram and all will be screaming fast.;)

5. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

Last time I checked an even bigger part of my experience was the computer itself. What do I care where I pick it up, whether its in an apple store or a cave? Anyhow apple store charges restocking fees to return the computer so best buy is a great idea, plus their accessories are actually reasonably priced (unlike the harddrives and cables at the apple store, dont even get me started on those).

6. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

I totally get what you are putting out regarding Best Buy. I have had my share of experiences there, but also I have purchased all of my iPods and iPhone directly from the Apple Store, so I have experience with both.

I am less concerned with the Mac experience, and more concerned with having a computer which will carry me through the next few years as I travel around the country. I just want it to work. :)

In any case, I would never purchase an extended warranty from Best Buy; I will be buying AppleCare. I'm just more concerned about if there is an initial problem with the computer.

I have had great experience, though, with calling Consumer Relations at Best Buy whenever I have had less than satisfactory experiences with the store.

Thanks for the response. I really do appreciate the input.

Thanks, Steve! I always buy Apple Care (I have bought it on each of my iPods and my iPhone), so BB won't be making any money off of me on an extended warranty.

As soon as I get oriented to my first Mac, I will be upgrading ASAP to 4gigs.

Thanks, again!

Thanks, f1400! I agree. I am more concerned about the computer itself. I know Best Buy is not the place to go when looking for expert advice, but when you already know what you want, the only issue is getting something which works out of the box.

820 bucks in gift cards is hard to resist. I know I could use them on other things, but why not use them on a big ticket item.

I will be getting AppleCare in any case, but thanks for the response about Best Buy!

Well...after the first 14 days, the MB would be covered under Apple's 1 year warranty, and, after that, Apple Care (I will be buying Apple Care). I am more concerned, should there be a problem in the first 14 days, can I go directly to the Genius Bar or go straight back to Best Buy.

I know that the "Geek Squad" has little experience with Macs, and often they are unable to duplicate the issues people complain about, so I guess I would go first to them, and then to the Genius Bar.

Thanks, everybody, for the responses.

7. zepharus macrumors 6502a

zepharus

And where would one find these people?

8. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

In general:
    You can get warranty service at any Apple service location no matter where you buy the machine

If you want to EXCHANGE the machine for a new one or get a refund, then you must deal with the seller you bought it from and their policies. Apple will not exchange a machine directly unless you bought it from the Apple store.

9. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the info, Canada. Would that exchange also include times when there is really something wrong with the machine within the 14 days?

10. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Absolutely. If you take it to Apple they'll either
    1) enter it into the repair queue or
    2) tell you to discuss replacement with your seller.

11. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

Got it! Thanks!:)

12. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Hmm I've thought about this my self and I'll probably be the first to say that I'd rather go with Best Buy on this one. Their warranty also covers 1 free battery replacement. Which in itself is worth half the price of the warranty/Applecare. Then on top of that you still get a 3 year service... and like someone else mentioned earlier they don't know squat about fixing macs there they probably send the Macs back to Apple and they are more likely to "lemon" your machine and just give you the credit back to buy the newest mac like 2 years down the line... they have a 4 repair lemon policy.

I used to work at BB so I guess I know how to work their system a bit more. But I've taken full advantage of every single warranty I've ever gotten at Best Buy. My worst case scenario with geek squad is that they put a slight scuff on top of my laptop when they sent it in to get the HDD replaced. For my 250 they saved my laptop twice from costly repairs AND I got a battery replacement mailed to my house when my old one only had about 35 minutes of life left per charge.

13. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

That is great info. You have me rethinking my position on not buying the BB Extended Warranty.

You make some great points. The battery issue alone, as you point out, pays for half the warranty.

Thanks!

14. NewYouSir macrumors newbie

since it is the holiday season...Best Buy's return policy is until the last day of Jan. '08...if you've purchased something in Nov. through Dec. '07.

15. lostingamma macrumors member

I also work at Best Buy, and I suppose I might be a little biased, but I too would get the extended warranty. Truth is, I work in the Geek Squad. (I am an avid Mac Developer as well). If you do get it at Best Buy, get the Accidental. In my experience, you are screwed if you don't. Applecare doesn't cover accidental damage, but Best Buy's ADH plan will. So if you spill coffee on it (like one customer did) they will either fix it or replace it (in the customer's case, she got a new one).

The only thing it doesn't cover is a complete submersion under water (like dropping it into a swimming pool) and software going bad (like getting a virus, which u really don't need to worry about).

It is true that many on the Geek Squad don't know much about Macs, but they are going to start getting trained about them, now that Best Buy is starting to sell Macs, so hopefully they're support will get better. (I am the amazing exception of course ;) ).

16. killerwhack macrumors regular

killerwhack

An "avid Mac Developer" and a geek squad employee??? There is an interesting combination!

Yeah it is true! There have been numerous reports in the press about serious lapses of professional conduct and business ethics too! I urge everyone reading this to reconsider buy from such an organization. Which company do you want to be around in 10 years? Apple or Best Buy ? Think about it and vote with your dollars.

17. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

18. NewYouSir macrumors newbie

yes sir....restocking fee's still apply though...ONLY on laptops(if nothing is wrong with the unit) not on desktops..

19. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Buy the MacBook at BestBuy, then pick up Apple Care from the Apple Store.

20. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Yeah the return policy qualifies... they also have Reward Zone points which gives ya like 30 bucks back in 2 months for your purchase. ;)

I love that program!

And you get 6 months no interest financing if you use a best buy card... sigh... damn that's been drilled in my head... I'm a Best Buy drone and I haven't even worked there in 4 years!

I'm still debating on which to pick up for my macbook. I bought it the other day. The ADH warranty looks good but $350... ugh... and I've NEVER spilled anything or dropped my laptop... I dunno... the standard one is 250 so that sounds more perfect for me. But the option to toss my laptop out of a moving car and then getting a new one is SO enticing.

Oh as for which will last longer... the Best Buy Warranty is backed by major insurance agencies. In Cali it's backed by AIG which will be around for a while. In my opinion that's a pretty safe bet. Also another reason why they could care less about giving you the credit back for your product. They just report it as a loss to AIG and collect the money back from them. So everybody wins but AIG... but they win in the fact that the probably charge Best Buy Hundreds of Millions a year... isn't economy fun?

21. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks for the info, MrXiro. I believe my homeowners insurance covers accidental damage to computers. I have a call in to my insurance person.

You've just about turned me around to thinking that the BB extended warranty is the way to go. Is that the PSP?

I would like to have the extended telephone support that you get with AppleCare. That is a major selling point for me.

Thanks!

22. MrXiro macrumors 68040

MrXiro

Yes there are a few of them I think... The one with ADH (accidental) costs like a 100 bucks more. But yeah they are called PSP (Performance Service Plans)

My dilemma I think is... do I want to spend 250 NOW or a year from now? But the BB Warranty seems the better deal. But I can wait till next November and get applecare... hmm.

23. Bobioden macrumors 68000

Bobioden

I ended up buying my Macbook from Macmall. Got a $100 rebate, and didn't pay tax ($100 savings), I also got free overnight shipping. Ordered on Monday, received on Tuesday. Can't beat that at all. The $100 rebate bought my 4gb ram upgrade from Newegg. I also got a HP F4180 printer free with rebate. The $100 tax savings got me a Incase sleeve, and a Lapdesk from Office Depot, plus I put money back in my pocket.

24. Built thread starter macrumors 68020

That was a great deal, for sure. I have checked out the Macmall site and see that they have some good deals.

I belong to the Best Buy Reward Zone program and right now, they are running a promotion whereby if I spend more than 500 bucks before Christmas, I get another 25 dollars in gift certificates. Also, I just have a few more dollars to spend to get another 10 dollar gift certificate, and already have two 10 dollar gift certificates, aside from the 800 dollars in gift cards I already have, too. I will probably keep the gift certificates to buy other things/accessories.

Your review of Macmall makes it sound very appealing, though!

25. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Bad idea to buy it from Best Buy. If it's possible to go to the genius bar for issues then it should be possible to go to the Apple store to buy it. You have a lot better experience.