Getting Ready To Move

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by ghall, Aug 19, 2007.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

My mom just bought a cute house across town from where we live now. We've been renting for years, and now we finally have a home of our own. We're not moving until the end of September, but my mom wants us to get most of our stuff packed by the time I go back to school, because it's going to be a crazy month, me starting my senior year in high school, and all.

So anyway, I need a few tips on moving, plus I have a few questions.

First off, I'm getting a new desk. I've had the same old kids desk since I was in 1st grade, and it's just not big enough for my purposes (it's not easy fitting a 15" laptop, a wireless mouse, and an external HD on a desk that size, not to mention all the manuals, and cables that I have in the drawers). I was looking through this thread to get some ideas, and I've decided I want to get one of the new Apple keyboards as well, so I don't get back pains after sitting at my laptop for 10 minutes. I also have a Wacom tablet someone gave me that I can't use because there's no room for it. Also, would you recommend a laptop stand as well, or is that overkill? Also, I want there to be room for a midi keyboard that I plan on getting as well. Also, what kind of chair would you recommend.

Secondly, I have about a dozen plastic models that I built, whats the best way to pack those?

Finally, any other advice would be appreciated.

2. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

How big is your new room? I have a Z-line desk that I got from staples for pretty cheap, especially after they messed up on the shipping. I believe the name is Z-line Gemini. Its pretty big and sturdy enough. It lacks storage though but there is a ton of desk space which is what I love about it.

Chairs are kinda of a personal thing, I would go test them out. My friend has a Sealy (like the mattress brand) chair and I find it very comfortable and it was $130 if I remember correctly.

For models I would probably wrap them in paper and put them in a box, I don't know how delicate they are. Just don't pack things with newspaper, the ink will bleed of and either dirty or wreck what you are packing, use the special packing paper.

3. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

My room is pretty good sized. I don't know the exact footage, but I'd guess somewhere around 6-7 feet by 8-9 feet. I have a giant closet as well, about half the size of the room that I was thinking of converting into an office/workspace, since I really have no use for a giant closet. Though I'm not sure if it has an outlet or not.

4. jng macrumors 65816

jng

packing depends on how much time you have to move. all at once or over a few days or a few weeks makes a huge difference.

throw clothes and such into trash bags.

and get boxes to label your other stuff. and labeling is REALLY important especially if it's going to sit in a box for a month. i lose lots when moving in general. but i misplace things even more.

what kind of models are they? depending on how ornate it is you can be cheap and pack it with clothing.

5. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

1 is a Bandai light-up model of the USS Enterprise-E, the rest are just regular plastic models.

6. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

pack the less essential stuff first (things you will likely not use for a month or so) and label them.

and about the desk, are you planning to stay at home for college or not? this i think will tell you the price range of your desk to an extent.

nothing else i can think of right now.

7. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

LOL, I just found an game I made for a summer computer class I took a few years ago. I tried to get it running in Fusion, but I got the BSD. :mad:

8. wonga1127 macrumors 6502

To me thats the best part about moving. I wish I could move just to find a bunch of crap I had forgotten about.

9. iRachel macrumors 6502a

Moving sucks (mostly because of all of the packing, unpacking and stress). For the models, using some clothes might work, but I would recommend bubble wrap if they're at all fragile. Good luck with everything!

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I say as the child you have it easy. But, I would pack things you haven't touched in over a month. Anything you haven't touched in over a year should go. Desks. I have the ikea table top and legs. It came in 3 sizes I think and I have two side by side. Printers and such take up room. If you do not need drawers this is a good way to go. I would look for something with a lot of surface area. You know what you like, we do not.

Your mom is right, pack now what you can live without. Before you know it **** will hit the fan and you'll be up till 2 am packing. That is less than a barrel of laughs.

11. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

For the models and anythying else that is fragile or valuable, I would recommend a special trip. Since it is just across town a special trip will not really cost you much and you can take the time and care with your fragile items that will ensure they are safe.

As for the rest of your stuff... I recommend:

- Boxes that are small enough to carry but large enough so you don't have to carry a ton of boxes.
    - If you are buying boxes, get a lot that are the same size because it is easier to stack them.
    - A dolly is your friend.
    - Plastic grocery bags make good packing material if you have been saving them.
    - Bubble wrap is expensive and never goes as far as you hope it will.
    - If you are loading a moving van make a plan about how you want to pack it. Get everything ready to load before you load anything into the truck. Just because you are only driving across town doesn't mean that you shouldn't secure everything as if you were driving across country. One pothole or quick stop can send everything flying.

Good luck.