Getting ready to pull the trigger on a new 13" rMBP... here's the plan?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by David T., Feb 16, 2014.

1. David T. macrumors member

Hey guys,

Been doing a lot of reading and research here, and at other sites. I'm about ready to get a new 13" rMBP - 2.4/8GB/256. It will be used mainly for Web surfing, email, Pages, Numbers, and most importantly for making online purchases and banking.

We currently have an Android Tablet, an IPad Air, and a year and a half old Toshiba PC running Windows 7 that I need for work and some Windows specific stuff.

Anyhow, I plan on purchasing the rMBP from Apple online (no stores nearby).
    I plan on getting Apple Care, an Airport Extreme router (current router is getting old), a WD 1 TB portable drive (or two) for cloning and backups, and maybe a couple of other things through B&H Photo to save a few bucks.

Anybody see anything major wrong with that plan?

TKA

2. kathyricks macrumors 6502

I think it makes more financial sense to buy from the Apple refurbished store:
    http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

Example: I regret buying my iPad Air on craigslist because I ended up not liking it and so I can't return it. The refurbished store gives you 2 weeks to decide if you like a Mac model or iPad plus you save at least 15% on the price of a new one. So if you get the 13" rMBP and then later decide it's a bit too small then you can return it and get the 15" model. Or return it and get a full refund.

One good thing to buy from B&H is Applecare - you save 30% compared to buying from Apple. But there again I'd wait a year to buy Applecare because between now and next January you may decide to sell your rMBP and get something else like the rumored 12" rMP Air - wouldn't it be neat to have a featherweight 2 pound retina Macbook!

3. David T. thread starter macrumors member

4. kathyricks macrumors 6502

While the refurb store is currently out of 13" Haswell SSD's http://www.refurb.me/us/browse/ I can guarantee they will be available again within a week. You can set up an alert so you can grab one the day they become available. I got my 8GB/256GB Haswell SSD on Jan. 30 for $1269, then they sold out for a week, then came back, then sold out again and so forth.

5. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

I think if money isn't a concern, buying new online from Apple is just fine :). I bought the same model rMBP and have had no problems since they sent out updates for the few issues that existed at launch. This particular model is also seen as being the best bang for your buck for a decently spec'd laptop. Enjoy!

Can't speak much for the extras you want to buy. WD makes good drives, so that's not a bad idea. I bought AppleCare from Apple since I get the education discount anyway.

6. Shift Option K macrumors regular

Shift Option K

If you are looking to do something so basic, the MBA might be a better choice. It's not very powerful but good enough for your tasks, and it's cheaper.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Looks like a nice setup.

You might take a look at a Apple Time Capsule instead of the Airport Extreme and hard drive for backup. It makes wireless, automated backups very transparent.

Or you could attach one of the external drive to the Airport Extreme and do the same thing.

8. fskywalker macrumors 65816

fskywalker

There are refurbished Haswell (Late 2013) machines with PCIe SSD's on the Apple refurbished store, what do you mean?

9. Orr macrumors 6502

Orr

10. sn0wman72 macrumors member

Might not have seen the late 2013 rMBP's as they sellout quickly when they are added to the refurb store

11. David T. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, and I agree. However, I looked at a 13" MBA side by side with at 13" rMBP at our local BB. I really liked the retina display. Not that the MBA screen was bad... just not retina.

----------

Thanks, I will look into doing that.

----------

Yea, I've gone there a couple times and haven't seen any. I guess my timing is bad. Whatever the case, I think I would prefer a new one.