Getting Ready to purchase my first MacBook Pro Retnia

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Bennytsmithjr, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Bennytsmithjr macrumors member

Ok, So I have decided to purchase my first MacBook Pro. Ive already decided on the 15 inch MacBook Pro with Retina display, but have not decided on the exact build. I plan on using my Mac for Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and Video editing. My PC overheats every time I try to work with Adobe Photoshop.... Here are my questions....

Should I consider upgrading to the 2.7GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.7GHz?

I am definitely upgrading the ram from 8GB to 16GB, But is it necessary to upgrade the flash memory to 768GB from the stock 512GB?

Will it benefit power wise?

Also, Being new to Mac and being this will be my first one....... Any Tips on software or accessories to get would be great! Thank you......

2. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

I have the 2.6 and it never breaks a sweat running Photoshop or Illustrator (it is like nothing running)! I think there are people here with the 2.3 who use it without problems for graphics work.

16GB of RAM is wise.

I wouldn't pay for the 768 SSD, the 512 holds plenty for main use and I prefer the flexibility of a thunderbolt caddy to hold an SSDs; very fast (so much better than running files on an internal HD) and flexible storage.

As for tips, there are lots of links to tutorials on this forum, but related to the retina display, SwitchResX[1] is IMO indispensable as you can set up keyboard commands to switch among the different HiDPI resolutions effortlessly. And if I only had one utility recommendation, it would be Quicksilver[2], a ninja sword interface which really highlights how much better the unified interoperability APIs are on OS X compared to Windows.

[1] http://www.madrau.com/indexSRX4.html
    [2] http://qsapp..com

3. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

I wouldnt waste money on the 2.7 CPU or the 768GB SSD.

2.3/16/512 would be sufficient enough, or even 2.6/16/512

4. SpitUK macrumors 6502

I have the 2.7GHz, 16Gb, 512Gb model and it rocks. I would not compromise on the 16Gb or 512Gb but would happily go for the 2.6GHz.

It is an incredible computer and I hope you enjoy it :)

5. wiznet, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

wiznet macrumors regular

6. stevelam macrumors 65816

i hope you realize none of those adobe apps have been updated for retina.

7. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

Which means they will look as good as they do on a cMBP or an external display...

8. Tea-Aholic macrumors 6502

Not sure what video editing software the OP is going to use, but Premier Pro CS6, Final Cut and iMovie are all updated to support the retina display.

As for Photoshop, just run the screen at native resolution.

9. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

You are not going to have to worry about processing power with Photoshop. With that said, don't upgrade to the 2.7 GHz.

I would also go for the 16GB RAM and keep the SSD baseline.

10. Bennytsmithjr thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone

Thanks for the advice. It will def save me some money. What accessories should i get? External hard drive? CD drive? Also, I was looking at Final cut pro X, Is is easy to learn? i have been trying to learn avid in my PC. Thanks

11. MaxPower72 macrumors 6502

MaxPower72

Go for the 2.6/16/512 it's a fantastic computer.

12. nontroppo macrumors 6502

nontroppo

If you are used to a traditional NL editor, FCPX is quite a different beast, but the metadata based non-track approach certainly has intuitive advantages if you are willing to adapt your workflow. Premiere Pro is excellent as a more traditional editor. You can't really go wrong with either but FCPX will be cheaper in the short term, unless you have particular needs that FCPX won't support.

13. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Personally I like having the 768GB SSD. I have over 600GB available for file collection during multi-week trips. When I get home the files and processed and moved to external drives. The only data I carry is email, notes, reminders...etc.

14. wiznet macrumors regular

SpeedGrade CS6 is also retina-ready.

As far as video software goes, OP, I have Premiere Pro and I love it! I much prefer it over FCPX. I switched from FCP to PP after it (FCPX) was released, as I'm sure many others viewing this thread did; I never once regretted it.

I bought an external ODD with my rMBP for the times that I may need it. I installed a few GB of software, and ripped a few CD's. I may not use it a lot, but for the price it's worth it.

As far as externals go, Thunderbolt storage is what I go with. I have some trusty LaCie drives, they run great. Once again, just go with what your pocket can handle - it really depends on what you need though; how much storage do you think you'll end up using/needing?

15. Mac-Tech macrumors regular

Mac-Tech

This is the spec I would get too

Retina MBP 2.7GHz | 16GB | 768GB

Can't go wrong with it and it will last 5-6 yrs for sure!

16. Bennytsmithjr thread starter macrumors member

Currently learning

I just graduated and am teaching my self how to use Photoshop and video editing software. I have a BA in Marketing and just took a Director of Marketing position for a local Real Estate company. My hopes is i will be able to do some creative marketing as well as short video clips of houses to put online...... For what I am looking to do, a RMBP is necessary. My only thing is because Ive never had one, and i am learning, I want to get my set up right the first time. So im hearing PP is a better option than FCPX...... Should i be able to pick Premier Pro up easily?

As far as how much data ill be using, I think most of my videos will be between 5-30 minutes long.

Ill be taking tons of pictures though.

17. stevelam macrumors 65816

30 minute long real estate house videos? who the hell is going to be watching these?

sorry but if all you're doing is some simple PS/video editing work, theres no reason to get premiere over FCP. and you definitely don't 'need' an RMBP to do any of this. why would you?

on top of that the fact that neither premiere pro or photoshop has been updated for retina display at all yet..

18. Bennytsmithjr thread starter macrumors member

I understand what you are saying, but that is what ill be using it for NOW.....In the future I will be using it for my own personal business and would rather spend the money on something now than have to do it later.

19. wiznet macrumors regular

False, PP is updated.

20. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

Just run SetResX if your eyesight is good, and run the apps then. Looks and perform great.