Getting ready to return my touch

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by deadonarrival, Oct 22, 2007.

1. deadonarrival macrumors newbie

I have had my touch for about a month and have really enjoyed it but I am thinking of returning. I purchased from Costco and have not had to much of a problem with dark video. I cannot get a movie to play from start to finish at all. Converted using dvd decryptor and videora and movie cuts out or freezes and stops. Used dvd decryptor and nero 8 and audio and video do not sync and movie cuts out. Downloaded movie purchased from Itunes and 1 episode would not play at all. Restored Ipod twice and movie played but then froze and stopped. Have had problems with songs doing the same thing. They play fine in Itunes but not on touch. I love the Touch but when you spend $400.00 on a mobile device it should at least work to some degree.

Any recommendations?

2. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

use handbrake to rip the dvd to ipod touch compatible mp4

3. Stang68 macrumors 6502a

Stang68

I second that.

4. deadonarrival thread starter macrumors newbie

getting ready to return my touch

I could try this for DVD's but what about the movie downloaded from Itunes? It froze and I also got tiling and a couple of green blocks, then loss of audio before it stopped. Any ideas?

5. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

If an Apple iPod made to play video doesn't play iTunes video, even after updates, then it's defective.

Take it back...

6. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Take it to the apple store and they should fix or replace it. If you enjoy it I would not return it since this should be covered by the warrenty.

7. mrhockey123 macrumors regular

If you've got AVIs on the comp and want to convert them, use iSquint - it works well. I've used handbreak for some movies, and isquint for some avi. Couldn't be any happier!

It sounds like your encoder isn't doing a good enough job. Maybe your discs are scratched? just random thoughts

8. maestrokev macrumors 6502a

maestrokev

Perhaps you have a lemon. Best thing about buying from Costco is their liberal return policy. Try another one and see if it still happens. No problems with my Touch.

9. Kenal0 macrumors regular

I would take it back and exchange it. It is defective. I have played all kinds of converted files and itunes downloads and have not had one freeze up or crash of any kind. This is not normal and for 400 you should not have to deal with that.

10. dikiem macrumors member

Take it to the apple store and show them you have a problem, chances are they will swap it for you.

They did it for me. I got mine off Amazon.com, had a problem with it and took it to the apple store, the store manager exchanged it for me.

11. gowanis macrumors 6502

also no problems here playing any videos. sounds like you have a bad one.

i use videora to convert stuff like avi to mp4 and it plays perfectly.

for DVDs, I use DVD Decrypter to rip to ISO, and then Handbrake to convert from ISO to mp4. Also plays perfectly.