getting ready to setup iphone for tmobile

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by GD825, Jun 30, 2010.

1. GD825 macrumors newbie

i was hoping to get some advice when i go to call tmobile tomorrow..

i am setting up a new account with them and want to know what i should say and how the setup process works..

can i use a prepaid setup with the iphone?
    when i call them, how can i avoid telling them im setting up an iphone so i can only pay the 10 dollar data plan instead of their 30 dollar smartphone plan

like can i tell them im setting up a sidekick with prepaid service and the 10 dollar data plan, and do that without them knowing im really setting up an iphone?

id be using an iphone 3gs (unlocked and jailbroken of course), and a brand new tmboile sim card

any help would be appreciated

2. jamaggic macrumors member

t-mob fix

you will have to get the smartphone plan,,, it is unlimited internet. if you dont tell them you have an iphone and try to sign up for the $10 plan, it doesn't matter,,, once the sim card is in and you start using it they will know its an iphone and they will make you change then... I've been with them for over two years first with 2g then 3gs and they really do not care that you are using an iphone so long as you are paying for the plan... actually if you call tech support for some reason, they know its an iphone on the system and they say; hold for iphone support!!!
    Other than only Edge data (which does not bother me) the only issue I have had is I can send MMS but not receive pics... I have tried with tech support numerous times to correct, and changed the APN setting to everything I could find on the blogs but to no luck. I'm in the southeast and this used to be a suncom network before t-mob bought it so tech support thinks it has someting to do with their legacy servers or software from suncom as apn setting on iphone in NY t-mob work there but not here...
    Overall I have four iphones on t-mob family plan with unlimited internet and texting for $160/month so its a good deal.

3. Imsuperjp macrumors 6502

tell them you are using a motorola razr to have the cheap data plan added. I have had the iphone on tmobile for 2 years and have only paid for the web2go plan. they do not know you are using an iphone nor care that you are.

4. GD825 thread starter macrumors newbie

a CSR in their live chat told me you cant have just data only on a razr

5. Imsuperjp macrumors 6502

Sorry, i thought you were getting voice and data

6. GD825 thread starter macrumors newbie

the only way i would get voice is if i did the prepaid option with data added on it, which the CSR told me it would have to be a sidekick phone..

does prepaid work with the iphone?

then id tell the guy i want the cheap prepaid package (15 bucks a month) + 10 for web2go = 25 a month total

but im afraid that during the setup process he will find out im using an iphone and force me into the 40 dollar web plan..

when i go to calll, what will they ask for? jsut he info o nthe sim card? or is there some kind of serial number they will ask for that will give away the secret that its not a sidekick?