Getting real work done with the trackpad

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by phaedarus, Mar 2, 2012.

1. phaedarus macrumors regular

Since acquiring my MBP, I have been using the trackpad in an effort to see how much work I can actually get done in Photoshop/Maya without the aid of a mouse.

So far the going has been rough. Although standard activities like word processing and surfing the web is fairly swift, it takes about 3 times as long to model anything complex in Maya and painting is a wash in Photoshop.

I'll likely be getting either a small mouse or a wacom tablet to improve my productivity as it seems the trackpad and I can't seem to jive that well.

In the meantime, I'm curious, is anyone able to get serious graphic design work done with just the trackpad alone?

2. jekyoo macrumors 6502

For anything graphics related, I always use a mouse. Trackpad is not designed for that type of usage. Like you said, it's great for normal consumer use though.

3. jgz macrumors regular

jgz

no, I have to use a mouse for my work, which most of the times is CAD stuff. Once on a bus trip I used the trackpad for some Indesign work. It worked, but it didnt feel very comfortable....

Probably if you get used to, it will work sometime, but I don't have enough time for such things^^

4. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I tried your approach with my MBP 17"...I caved and purchased a MM....You just can't use precision software with the pad. I spent more time screwing things up than actually getting things done, and even when I DID manage to get it right, it took 3 times as long.

My MBA however, remains mouse less, and for some reason I find the trackpad easier to use....I think it's the smaller real-estate on the Air that makes it easier to use.

5. MOKHAN macrumors 6502

I find using the trackpad easier in all tasks, even Photoshop. Not sure why.

6. thundersteele macrumors 68030

I don't like using my mouse anymore to interact with the mac. I do the following:

Trackpad: everyday work
    Logitech mouse: gaming
    Wacom tablet: handwritten notes, drawing

I am fully using the available gestures, so when for some reason I have the mouse in my hand, I start wondering how access Launchpad or Mission control. Also the touchpad is closer to the keyboard, so it's faster to work with keyboard + touchpad.

Drawing I think depends a lot on experience and talent... but I think a wacom tablet offers more than what you could get from using a mouse... e.g. pressure sensitivity!