Getting Replacement MB from Apple can i exchange it for MBA?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ocmajid, Dec 1, 2010.

1. ocmajid, Dec 1, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010

ocmajid macrumors newbie

hey everyone, recently apple lost my macbook and has agreed to send me a replacement. I tried calling before to see if i can get the 11" MBA instead because it's the same value but they were closed before i got to speak to them. Do you think I can exchange it at the Apple store if I dont open it once i receive it....?

thanks!

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Can't hurt to ask, but I don't know how likely that is. Since you didn't buy it at the Apple Store, they're not obligated to accept it as a return. Ask nicely though, and you might get someone who's nice enough in return.

jW

3. ocmajid thread starter macrumors newbie

man i sure hope so.....

i am praying i saw the new MBA and i want one really bad.

4. ocmajid thread starter macrumors newbie

any other opinions? does anyone know if replacements are brand new or refurbished? thanks

5. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

No way to know unless you have been specifically told. I received new replacement machines twice, but I know people who have received refurbs as replacements. If the AppleCare rep didn't specifically say while you were on the phone, you won't know until you get it.

jW

6. DiamondGCoupe, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010

DiamondGCoupe macrumors 6502

When did they lose it? While it was being shipped or after you took it in for repairs etc.. You probably won't have any luck exchanging it until you receive it, return it, and then buy the new MBA.

If it was new and you bought online, can't exchange/return in-store.

7. ocmajid thread starter macrumors newbie

Fedex or apple lost it during shipment. It was suppose to be signature confirmation but the guy supposedly delivered it without getting a signature and I had no idea it was being delivered. I contact apple and they said its a mistake they never deliver without a signature so they issued me a brand new replacement.

8. mjones185 macrumors regular

I had a bad iMac go bad a couple years ago, the replacement went bad and I asked to upgrade to a MacPro and they put my full refund on a gift card and I used that and paid the difference. I could have just paid the difference that day but had to transfer money to my account first. Also, if you have apple care with a balance, you can get a refund that's pro rated but you have to go through Apple for that.

Mike

9. ocmajid thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for your help :)

10. rufus247 macrumors member

So what ended up happening? Did you get the MBA?