Getting replacment (iPhone 4) for friend on T Mobile??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by RonHC, Jan 13, 2011.

1. RonHC macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Ok so my friend who is on T-Mobile wants the iPhone 4, of course he doesn't want to change networks so he thought of the idea of me calling Apple/AT&T stating my iPhone 4 is broken/stolen and that i need a replacement. Of course its gonna cost money but my friend has that covered.

Is there something flawed about this plan?
    Like do i have to return the iPhone 4 for the replacement/fix??

Any help would be appreciated

2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Two things...

1. Apple absolutely requires the broken phone if they are to provide a discounted out-of-warranty replacement ($199 vs. $599)

2. The iPhone isn't compatible on T-mobile's 3G network, last time I checked.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Many flaws.
    First in order to get a replacement you gotta either bring yours to Apple or mail it to Applecare to have it checked and replaced.
    2nd if you want to get another one and you're not due for an upgrade you have to pay full price at $599-699
    3rd every iPhone 4 you will get now will not be on 4.0.2 firmware or below and thus will not be able to unlock it to use on Tmobile.
    Tell him to get an official unlocked from Canada or find a JB and unlocked on Ebay or CL.

4. RonHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

RonHC

Thanks for the info guys, and yes he knew that he wont have 3G
    But say if it were stolen, then i would have to pay $599 - $699???

5. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Don't bother. Just have your buddy by the phone from Apple or newegg or something, and just unlock it himself. You won't get a break on a new set of hardware.

6. Weiser878 macrumors regular

Unless you have some sort of 3rd party insurance (in which case you'd be committing insurance fraud, a felony) if you call Apple and say your phone was stolen, they'll just say sorry.
    You will have to pay full price for a new one.
    And as was said above, you won't be able to unlock it for T Mobile anyway.
    You'll have to buy an unlockable one, and that's gonna cost you even more than a new one from Apple. (I'm asking $700 for mine)

7. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes, unfortunately. Sometimes a customer will be eligible for meager discounts from their wireless provider, even if they aren't upgrade eligible. This could bring the price down to $399, in some cases. And if you've been a good customer for many years, they may also be willing to add a credit to your monthly bill to help offset the costs.

Also, some credit cards offer purchase protection (usually 90 days) where they will reimburse you for damaged or stolen goods you purchased with their card. But they can only provide you with the amount you paid originally, not full replacement cost.

I agree with the above poster. You're friend is perfectly able to purchase an unlocked international phone online.

8. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, you dont have to say anything.
    As long as you're an AT&T customer you can walk in and purchase an i4 for full price at $599-699
    Or if you can get an early upgrade and resing a 2 year contract for $399-499.
    Or when you're up for an upgrade you can get the $199-299 price.
    But he still wont be able to unlock and use it on Tmobile.

9. RonHC thread starter macrumors 6502a

RonHC

gotcha, thanks everyone

10. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

It really depends on who you're talking to and how you present it. Personally, I'd kick your fraudulent....(pick a body part) out of the store, but AT&T gave me a replacement after mine was stolen for the early upgrade price without me saying anything but "this is a replacment for a stolen phone". I also wonder if people like you ever stop to consider that they're making legitimate problems and returns more difficult because you're abusing both Apple and AT&T's policies. But hey, I'm sure you'll turn around and complain about how difficult it is to scam a phone because "other people" are doing it wrong. You and your friend should grow up and pay the money.

11. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

It would be easier to stifle the underground market if phone operaters blacklisted IEMIs and such as soon as a phone is reported stolen, and not cover their eyes in hopes of the finder signing up for monthly service.