Getting rid of adobe flash

Discussion in 'macOS' started by smokesletsgo, Jul 16, 2015.

1. smokesletsgo macrumors regular

I want to stop using flash completely for obvious reasons but the problem is some websites require it, like clothing shops catwalk videos, can't see them without flash... I could survive without flash generally but there will always be some minor thing that will require it, it seems impossible to completely ditch flash... My question is - is it possible to view this content that requires flash but without flash? Are there some kind of extensions for Safari or are you just basically stuck with flash if the website requires flash plug-in?

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Yep - Get google's browser, Chrome.

Other browswers use the Flash plugin you've installed in your OS. Once you remove Flash from your computer they won't have it any more. Chrome, though, bundles Flash in as part of itself. It always has it.

So what this means is that you can remove Flash from your Mac entirely and then get Chrome and view Flash content in it.

Note that you can't use Chrome as your main browser now. If you do that nothing has changed. You'd still have Flash running all of the time. The point is to use some other browser 99% of the time but, when you encounter a Flash page, copy the URL and paste it in Chrome, view it, and then quit Chrome. This helps to minimize processor drain and security risks since you're only viewing very specific pages for brief periods of time.

It's not foolproof but it's a handy cheat that helps.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

As a work around you cloud run click to flash. Content then wouldn't load unless you enable it

4. smokesletsgo thread starter macrumors regular

Thank's guys for replies. I think best way to deal with this is to use chrome. Hopefully the day when you won't need flash at all reaches soon.

5. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

6. mpfuchs macrumors regular

mpfuchs

Here is what I don't understand:
    In Safari, sometimes embedded videos from youtube show the 'missing plugin' message, but when I search for the video on youtube, I can view it. How does that work?

I refuse to install flash on my new MacBook, but sometimes it's really annoying... Especially since I could watch xfinity TV on my MacBook if I installed flash.

7. cincygolfgrrl macrumors 6502

cincygolfgrrl

First, as mentioned above, install Chrome for those sites you need to see that still use Flash. Second, Youtube recently made all content HTML5 compatible, but some videos may still have Flash enabled. It seems your search is finding the HTML5 version.

Now, go enjoy xfinity TV on your MacBook using Chrome.

8. The Economist macrumors 6502

The Economist

Hello, I've been using Chrome as a secondary browser for a couple of years now. I browse on Safari and launch Chrome when I encounter a website that requires Flash. This is rare now, thankfully.

9. KALLT macrumors 601

Often it also helps if you change your user agent to iPad. Many websites actually do support HTML5, but for some reason still default to Flash.