Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Halcyon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Recently I visited a site (http://mgid.com) and ever since, whenever I have safari opened, a window will open by itself and navigate to this site.

It must be a cookie installed in my browser, if so, where/how do I get rid of it. If it's not a cookie, how to stop this behavior?

TIA

PD - I don't want to wipe out all the cookies in Safari.

Nusent

macrumors newbie
Oct 11, 2011
Recently I visited a site (http://mgid.com) and ever since, whenever I have safari opened, a window will open by itself and navigate to this site.

It must be a cookie installed in my browser, if so, where/how do I get rid of it. If it's not a cookie, how to stop this behavior?

TIA

PD - I don't want to wipe out all the cookies in Safari.

First of all, choose the "block pop up windows" option in the Safari menu.

screenshot20111105at122.png

Then go to Preferences and to Privacy and then click "Details"

Then in the search bar, type in the certain website... and then select it... remove... done.

Halcyon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Thanks...followed your instructions and so far it's working.

Halcyon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Well, I thought I had it figured out but the site keeps coming up...even after doing all of the above.

Any more suggestions?

TIA

EDIT: When I checked Safari Preferences > Cookies, the mgid.com cookie was back even though I had never visited the site again...it must be pulling it's info from somewhere else in my machine???

yawns

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
A cookie can't cause things to happen on your computer. i.e., it can't open a browser window and browse to a site. It's just a text file with a record of your visit.

It sounds to me like you have some kind of spy/malware installed. I know people will say, "No it's a Mac!!" but what else is going to cause the browser to automatically pop-up a new window to a specific site? Safari's insecurities are routinely demonstrated.

Have you checked to see what extensions are installed? What happens if you just turn extensions off? While you're in Safari's preferences, make sure you uncheck, "Open safe files after downloading," under the general tab, because that option is terrible. The fact that they put "safe," in quotation marks ought to tell you something :p

Halcyon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
I've tried the all Extensions off thing, to no avail.

I guess next step is to check for any spy/malware that probably creeped into my machine. Any suggestions where to start...where to get Mac anti spy/malware software?

TIA

yawns

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
I've tried the all Extensions off thing, to no avail.

I guess next step is to check for any spy/malware that probably creeped into my machine. Any suggestions where to start...where to get Mac anti spy/malware software?

TIA

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3003260?start=0&tstart=0

Not sure if this will be helpful but here's a thread where someone was having a similar problem. They didn't have any extensions, but something installed a toolbar on them that opened windows.

If you're using Lion, receipts are in /private/var/db/receipts

In a terminal you can do

ls /private/var/db/receipts

and perhaps scan the output for anything suspicious/unrecognized.

Perhaps also check your start-up items (System Prefs -> Users & Groups -> Login Items) to see if anything is launching when you login.

I'm kind of just guessing at things here, sorry.

Halcyon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
I'm on 10.6.8. not yet on Lion.

I've checked the Receipts folder and found nothing unusual. Login items is under control, nothing there either.

I got rid of the mgid.com cookie in Safari's Preferences, but it appeared there all by itself (meaning, with out my direct interaction).

Funny thing is I visited the same site with my laptop and I don't have the same annoying behavior with it...

...I'll google some more.

Thanks

yawns

macrumors member
Oct 12, 2011
It seems that one company produced some kind of annoying toolbar framework for Safari. So if a toolbar is the problem, you should be able to find the "Conduit," or "ctloader," stuff somewhere on your computer. The thread I linked to above is specific to SL.

If you do find out what the problem was, please post back. I'm curious. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Halcyon

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
I did follow the thread you inked to, but that is not my case.

Will indeed post any solution I can come across.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.