Getting rid of cookies

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Algalli, Aug 28, 2012.

1. Algalli macrumors member

I understand that when I visit a web site they will send a cookie to my computer. What I don't understand is this: I go into safari preferences and get rid of several or even all of the 1100 cookies on my computer. Hours later they are all back even though I have only gone to a few web sites that have nothing in common with most of the cookies. How do these cookies find their way back to my computer and How can I keep these unwanted cookies off without shutting off cookies altogether

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can go to Safari > Preferences > Privacy and block cookies from third parties and advertisers. Cookies aren't a real problem, are required by many sites for proper function and they can be cleared at any time. If you want to prevent cookies altogether, use Private Browsing.

3. Algalli thread starter macrumors member

cookies

I had the block cookies from advertisers and third parties set. It didn't help

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Why are you concerned? Cookies can't harm your system. Just periodically clear them, if you wish.

5. Algalli thread starter macrumors member

I want to understand how they are getting back into my computer after I clear them . I do clear them but then I have to reenter information on some of my favorite web sites. I don't want advertisers tracking my actions.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Use ad-blockers and leave 3rd party cookies disabled. It won't completely eliminate all cookies, because some websites include content from other sites, but you'll be fine.

7. LxHunter macrumors 6502

Take a look at Cookies from http://www.sweetpproductions.com/
    I think i paid 4.99 on sale

8. David085 macrumors 6502a

David085

I don't get why some ppl like there cookies disabled it doesn't harm your computer : )

9. majordude, Aug 28, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2012

majordude macrumors 68020

majordude