Getting rid of cookies

Algalli

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
I understand that when I visit a web site they will send a cookie to my computer. What I don't understand is this: I go into safari preferences and get rid of several or even all of the 1100 cookies on my computer. Hours later they are all back even though I have only gone to a few web sites that have nothing in common with most of the cookies. How do these cookies find their way back to my computer and How can I keep these unwanted cookies off without shutting off cookies altogether

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You can go to Safari > Preferences > Privacy and block cookies from third parties and advertisers. Cookies aren't a real problem, are required by many sites for proper function and they can be cleared at any time. If you want to prevent cookies altogether, use Private Browsing.

Algalli

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
cookies

I had the block cookies from advertisers and third parties set. It didn't help

Algalli

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 23, 2007
I want to understand how they are getting back into my computer after I clear them . I do clear them but then I have to reenter information on some of my favorite web sites. I don't want advertisers tracking my actions.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I want to understand how they are getting back into my computer after I clear them . I do clear them but then I have to reenter information on some of my favorite web sites. I don't want advertisers tracking my actions.
Use ad-blockers and leave 3rd party cookies disabled. It won't completely eliminate all cookies, because some websites include content from other sites, but you'll be fine.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
Take a look at Cookies from http://www.sweetpproductions.com/
I think i paid 4.99 on sale

David085

macrumors 6502a
Nov 9, 2009
I don't get why some ppl like there cookies disabled it doesn't harm your computer : )