Getting Rid of Data Plan. Family Plan Upgrade Question.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BrioCloud, Dec 16, 2009.

1. BrioCloud macrumors member

Hi. I understand that you're suppose to have a data plan for you iPhone. But I have scoured the internet and have found ways of getting around this requirement by switching the iPhone's sim card to an old phone, then call Cingular and say my iPhone is broken or something and request to cancel the data plan all together and disabling any data transfers, leaving the sim card with just the calling. I then use a method which I found on the internet to not allow any internet data usage on my iPhone to be sent or received, then place the sim back card in from the old phone to the iPhone. Would this method leave me with an iPhone with no data? Since my iPhone can no longer broadcast any data, I won't be charged on it.

I have read that they send emails or texts stating that I need to switch. That doesn't really bother me. I have read that many people have been off the data for months. But maybe things have updated.

I have read that some people are forced a regular $30 plan if they are using an incorrect data plan. But I am not using an incorrect data plan, I'm using no plan. I haven't heard of anybody who has been forced the $30 plan after performing this methord. How many of you guys have heard of people performing my method and then still being forced the data plan?

As for my upgrade question. I have a family plan. I am the main user and they're charging me $50. I have 2 other users under me each are $10 each. How straight forward would my upgrade be after I disable the data from my iPhone? Would I still be paying around $50?

Note: I have also read quite a lot of argument over "get an iTouch if you don't want data."

Let me explain to you why a no data planned iPhone is so much better for me than an iTouch:

1. What do I do with an iPhone with no data. I will download all the apps I want via wifi, then when I go to a place with no wifi, I can play all the apps I want all day long.

2. If I had an iTouch, I won't be playing with it outside my home because I really don't find myself in a situation where I have nothing to do when I'm outside. It goes the same for my PSP, I love it, I bring it to the mall, I never take it out. There is no incentive for me to bring my iTouch outside.

3. But won't I also not bring my iPhone you say? No. An iPhone is also a phone, the iTouch is not. I will always bring my iPhone outside to call people. Then on the rare occasion I do get bored, I can use the apps.

4. Bringing an iTouch outside would mean an extra gadget in my pocket. I then would have a regular phone on one side, an iTouch one the other. And also a wallet. That is too much to carry.

5. Having a dual utility item like the iPhone is much better than just the iTouch. Even though the iPhone with data has more utility, one with no data plan is better than just an iTouch.

6. For a two year contract it is $199 for a 16GB 3gs. For $199 iTouch 8GB 3g is exactly like a 2g, while the iTouch 36GB 3g is $299. So for about the same price, why would I want just an iTouch. I want to call people with it also.

There are the reason why I don't just want an iTouch.

Thank you for your time. Please answer my question.

2. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

The subsidized price is conditioned on your keeping the $30 data plan for 24 months. That's how they can offer you a $600 phone for just $200. How do you think they pay for it? The cost is built into the cost of the data plan. What you are talking about is a violation of the contract you voluntarily entered into and is morally wrong and, in my opinion, no better than theft. You should be ashamed of yourself.

3. BrioCloud thread starter macrumors member

I thought this thread was better suited for this section of the forum. I will request to get that one erased soon.

Edit: Thank you for your last comment on that thread! Really appreciate it.

I am not trying to morally justify my actions, just trying to justify getting an iPhone instead of an iTouch. I presented my question of removing my data plan to this forum because I feel that you guys have a lot of knowledge compared to other forums. Although it may be morally wrong, I just want to save some money, and I hope the morals of my questions does not impede on your answers.

4. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

You could save even more by just stealing one. I recommend bars...people are always setting their phones down. Or you could just grab one from someone in line to check out at the Apple Store and make a run for it.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Ok moral police:rolleyes:
    I bet your whole life you were perfect for you to judge others so easy.

6. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

You can do as you stated above but as soon as ATT picks up the iPhone on there network they will add back in the data plan. No way around that if you want to us an iPhone.

7. BrioCloud thread starter macrumors member

Why don't you get off your high horse and turn yourself in to the police since you have a jaibroken iPhone 3gs you hypocrite.

You're so annoying.

8. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

It's not illegal to jailbreak your own phone. It might void the Apple warranty, but it's not against the AT&T contract in any way. You bought the device, you should be able to hack it if you want to.

9. BrioCloud thread starter macrumors member

Sure I'm wrong about jail breaking. Whatever.

Hm. I see. But that is why I presented this question, there are so many opinions on this.

Applejuiced said:

So I just want some more confirmation that this is possible before I buy it.

10. TheWatchfulOne macrumors 6502

What about this?

You could sell your current iPhone(s) for enough money to cover AT&T's ETF. Before you do this you'll want to sync your phone to your computer and back it up.

Then, find a 1st gen iPhone on eBay or Craigslist. You don't want a data connection anyway so, no need for a 3G radio. Most iPhones on eBay come unlocked and jail-broken which does void the warranty, but none of the 1st gen iPhones would be under warranty anyway.

Sign up for T-Mobile and just take whatever free phone they offer. Put that SIM chip in your iPhone. They don't care if you come to them with your iPhone. They probably won't even identify your iPhone on the network because they don't officially carry the iPhone. I've heard that in the past they have knowingly corrected problems on their network that affected only iPhone users. But I don't remember any details about it.

When you sync your phone with your computer, you should theoretically be able to restore it from your previous back-up which will get you back to where you were on your previous iPhone (app data; game saves/progress; etc.)

The main caveat for this is that you and your family will end up with different phone numbers.

If your're going from a 3GS to a 1st gen, your will have 1/2 the RAM; less storage space; a slower processor; lower quality camera; no voice control; and no video recording. If you currently have a 3G, the hardware is not that much different although you generally could still end up with less storage space.

11. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's incorrect.

12. alent1234 macrumors 603

for now they may choose not to, but they know when an iphone with another SIM is being used

13. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Yes, for now and for the past years since the first iPhone came out.
    Anything can change at any time but I doubt they'd push it further.

14. thelatinist macrumors 603

thelatinist

Yes, I'm clearly the one in the wrong here.:rolleyes:

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Dont mind him, he's always rude and miserable in general.
    He will never get off his high horse:D
    Most replys of his turn into an argument with someone.

16. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Ah I see another post that has brought the Bottom Feeders out of the Basement...LOL

What is amazing is the threads of bashing that followed that users original question, this thread has gone in the wrong direction quickly.

17. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Wow, you must really think anyone actually cares about what your opinion is huh?

18. BrioCloud thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for defending me Applejuiced! =D

Great! I suspect all these other people are only speculating, or don't want me to have no data plan. I was also leaning towards that they know we have an iPhone, but if we have done this method they haven't done anything about it yet. And that's good enough for me. Thanks Applejuiced! Can anybody else confirm this method? I'm totally going to get an iPhone soon. What about my upgrade question?