Getting rid of Dropbox on a Mac (but not the data)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by creativedogmedia, Jan 26, 2017.

1. creativedogmedia macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

I had a personal and a corporate Dropbox setup on my iMac. Both were shown in Finder. I moved my personal Dropbox to an external raid setup and want to get the corporate Dropbox off of my computer for good (but I dont want to delete any data). I removed it from the sidebar but it still shows on my Mac under the computer name in Finder.

Can I just move that to trash and empty the trash? That only gets rid of it from my computer, not the data itself stored in the cloud.

2. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

If you delete from the Dropbox Folder on your Mac, it will delete from the cloud as well. You will have to choose the "Unlink your Mac" option first by going to Dropbox Preferences>Account>Unlink this Dropbox.

You can find the Preferences by clicking the Dropbox icon on the Menubar, then click on the gearwheel on the dropdown.

3. creativedogmedia thread starter macrumors 65816

creativedogmedia

Yep, that part is done...if I open it up it asks me if I want to unlink my personal account and it still sees that I am part of a corporate account but asks me if I want to LINK it to my corporate account. I just have all of the folders/files on my computer under my computer name in finder. If I move those to trash and then empty trash that should NOT impact the ones in the cloud, right?

4. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Hmm...couldn't be 100% sure on that, I'm afraid.