Getting rid of extraneous zip files

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cutcopypaste, Feb 22, 2010.

1. cutcopypaste macrumors regular

It would be awesome if there was an app you could run that would look at zip files and see if the contents exist somewhere else on the drive and then give you the option of trashing the zip files. i hate how i get zip files accumulating all over the place.
    does such a thing exist?
    there's no obviously intuitive way of deleting zip files upon extraction.. or is there?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

There is a way, although it's not exactly obvious. .zip files are handled by default by Archive Utility, which is in /System/Library/CoreServices/. If it stayed open long enough while unzipping a file, you could look in it's preferences and find the settings, but by default it closes, so you need to launch it manually. Just navigate to the above folder, and double-click on Archive Utility, then go to it's Preferences (Menubar: Archive Utility -> Preferences). You'll see the following window, and the setting you want is "After expanding: Move Archive to Trash". Works quite well. EDIT: you can also select "Delete Archive" if you don't want to deal with it in the Trash, but I prefer the former because if something happens I can retrieve the zip file from the Trash and try again.

Screen shot 2010-02-22 at 1.26.13 PM.PNG

Won't help with your existing zip files, but will help from here on.

jW