Getting rid of Leopard 10.5? HELP

Discussion in 'macOS' started by iPunish901, Nov 14, 2009.

1. iPunish901 macrumors 6502

iPunish901

i installed snow leopard through partitions. i now have a snow leopard and leopard volume. how do i get rid of the leopard volume and get all that lovely free space? when i use the minus button on partitions, it says unable to unmount, basically everything i do says that. can i restore the leopard volume with SL? and use the "erase destination" option? im a noob, please help

2. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

Did you try booting from the your Snow Leopard disc and from there run Disk Utility to remove the unwanted partition from the Hard Drive?

3. iPunish901 thread starter macrumors 6502

iPunish901

my superdrive hasnt worked since may. so i had to go through hell to get a dmg.

here is what it looks like

Attached Files:

4. cjmillsnun macrumors 68020

I note you have a portable hard disk attached.

Could you not clone onto the portable hard disk using carbon copy cloner or superduper, boot from it, re-partition the internal hard disk as 1 drive, then clone back.

It's a bit of a long winded way of doing it, but it would definitely work!

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

From the image it looks like Leopard was on the the first partition and Snow Leopard is on the second. If that is correct, I believe that is where your problem lies, I believe that the boot OS has to be on the first partition. If the two OSs positions were reversed on the HD then I believe you could take the second one erase it and merge with the first one, but I don't believe you can merge partitions the other way around such as yours are. Maybe someone else would have a better understanding of this than I do and could tell you something different.

If you can do as cjmillsnun suggested that's good advice and would probably be the best way to rid yourself of the other partition.

6. iPunish901 thread starter macrumors 6502

iPunish901

my portable HD isnt formatted for hfs+, and i have alot of crap i dont want to lose. if i moved what i cant lose to my mac, then clone everything to the external HD, i would be ok, right?

7. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

If you moved everything off the external HD to the internal HD (Snow Leopard partition) and then erased and formatted the external to HFS+, cloned to the external and then booted from the external and cloned back to the erased and re-partitioned internal it MIGHT work. I say MIGHT because there are some reports of WD external HDs not being bootable. If this were the case you probably wouldn't be able to clone back to the internal.

8. iPunish901 thread starter macrumors 6502

iPunish901

ok, well someone on another forum said it could be possible to use ipartition. i have it, but no idea how to use it. any ideas? thanks for all your help btw

9. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

I don't have any experience with iPartition, but looking at their website I found this page Coriolis Systems: Frequently Asked Questions: iPartition with this question and answer:

10. iPunish901 thread starter macrumors 6502

iPunish901

i found an answer! i found on another forum which im sure macrumors would not approve of, but it helped my situation.

bascially open a new partition where the free space is. restore that free space with the snow leopard as the target and the new partition as destination. after restore, just delete bottom partition then drag down the top partition to regain all the free space

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP GUYS

11. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

That's interesting, I had thought of that, actually wrote in an earlier message, but then thought it might not work and that it was too risky (since I didn't know for sure if it would work) so I went back and deleted it from the message. Glad to hear that you found a successful solution to your problem.