Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdugan

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 14, 2006
Does anyone know how to get rid of this annoying as sounds? or at least dampen it? What has apple said about it?

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Its not unique to MBPs. Powerbooks do it as well. Try going to Energy Saver and changing your processor settings from Automatic to Highest or vice-versa. This may help. Also, its a good idea to search before you post a new topic. Things like this are often already answered elsewhere.

MacRumoron

macrumors 6502
Sep 6, 2005
Heb1228 said:
Its not unique to MBPs. Powerbooks do it as well. Try going to Energy Saver and changing your processor settings from Automatic to Highest or vice-versa. This may help. Also, its a good idea to search before you post a new topic. Things like this are often already answered elsewhere.

you can't change processor settings on MBP..

well for me at least :(

and to get rid of the sound.. i just open up Comic Life and then close it...

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
"This annoying ass sound" isn't a particularly helpful description. Heb1228 alludes to such a sound being present in both MBPs and PBs. I have a PB and have no experience with any such annoying sounds.

A more thorough description of the sound...what it sounds like, when it occurs, where it is coming from, etc. is helpful in determining if you're talking about the "MBP whine" that has been much talked about or if it's something else.

chosenwolf

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2006
Los Angeles
MacRumoron said:

Yes you can. Download CHUD TOOLS and you can change the number of cores from 2 to 1. Once you do this, the sound will completely go away.

You can also turn on photobooth and minimize it or download the mirror widget and have it running.

There will be a fix soon.

calebjohnston

macrumors 68000
Jan 24, 2006
WildCowboy said:
"This annoying ass sound" isn't a particularly helpful description. Heb1228 alludes to such a sound being present in both MBPs and PBs. I have a PB and have no experience with any such annoying sounds.

A more thorough description of the sound...what it sounds like, when it occurs, where it is coming from, etc. is helpful in determining if you're talking about the "MBP whine" that has been much talked about or if it's something else.

That's what I was referring to, I don't care about your spelling. GIVE MORE INFORMATION ABOUT WHAT COMPUTER, AND WHAT SOUND.

"Get rid of MBP sound?" - Next time try saying what sound, when it happens, where it's coming from, etc.

Don't get all pissy at me because you don't even take the time to type out a full question.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
MacRumoron said:

Its possible the Energy Saver Pref Pane is different in PowerPC Macs and Intel Macs, but I bet you're just not looking in the right place. Try this...

Go to System Preferences, Energy Saver, Show Details (if not already showing), Options, and then look down at the last option available. Its a drop down menu that lists "Automatic, Highest, and Reduced.

Heb1228

macrumors 68020
Feb 3, 2004
Virginia Beach, VA
Koodauw said:
also, opening up comic life, will stop the noise too.
The reason opening some apps will cause the sound to stop is because its caused by the processor going into a power-saving mode. Opening anything that keep processing usage up to a certain level will probably cause it to stop. Thats why changing the processor settings in Energy Saver should also work.

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
The problem is a "whine" coming from somewhere beneath the keyboard. It's a really annoying sound, and it's caused by the power manager system.

When the processor isn't being used to a certain capacity, the power manager has to deal with the extra power that is unneeded. The systems it uses to do that sometimes cause parts of it to vibrate very slightly, and resonate against the inside of the computer, making the whining noise. It will occasionally show up on Powerbooks, however it isn't nearly as pronounced.

As long as you have something using up a good part of the processor power available the sound will go away.

PatrickF

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2006
Blighty
Heb1228 said:
Its possible the Energy Saver Pref Pane is different in PowerPC Macs and Intel Macs, but I bet you're just not looking in the right place.
The new Intel Macs do not have this option on the Energy Saver preference pane. I'm not sure if Apple will re-introduce this once they get the hang of power saving on the new Intel chips, but for the time being the options in there are very limited.

platypus63

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
Zanzibar Land
I use Folding @ Home! Okay, I don't have a mbp, but it somewhat similar issues are found with the powermacs. Folding at home utilizes unused processor cycles, keeps fan revs and power supply noises at a minimum. And it helps a good cause, whereas running photobooth and comic life when not wanted do not. Just another option until there is a fix for the problem, or the recommended energy saver preference doesn't work.

Goodluck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.