Getting rid of mouse lag in OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by hexrr, Dec 8, 2012.

1. hexrr macrumors newbie

Hey there, I've recently bought a MBPro 15 inch and have set it up nicely.

First I managed to get rid of the mouse acceleration using a simple script. I hate mouse acceleration after years of running modified Windows pcs without it because which causes me wrist pain and RSI and also makes mouse movement fluffy and imprecise. Thankfully the trackpad acceleration remains which is great.

Main issue I'm still having is that it seems like there is a 10-50ms lag between moving the mouse and the cursor responding, this is the same for stopping movement too. Really quite annoying and extremely obvious to me cause im running my pc right next to it.

I'm using exactly the same mice with both machines (Intellimice 3.0s) and it's getting rather annoying that my £1500 brand new machine feels clunkyer than a 3 year old i3 with half the number of cores and a graphics card model that is numerically "200" lower. :rolleyes: Have tried the MS mice drivers which don't seem to make any difference.

Cheers for any help in increasing pointer responsiveness and snappiness.

2. MisterKeeks macrumors 68000

MisterKeeks

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

My typical response would be to "Get a PC", as Apple's mouse drivers are notoriously "different" from a Windows machine. However it looks like you already are trying everything I would otherwise suggest; disable acceleration, using Microsoft drivers...

The only other possibility is that the screen response time is the problem, not the mouse itself. I know there's a lot of stuff happening due to the way OS X interacts with a retina display... try running at native resolution?

4. hexrr thread starter macrumors newbie

Non retina, to me the retina seemed much worse value - no upgradable ram or hard disk and no space to eventuall add a second hard disk in the superdrive bay, single audio port, no firewire and easier to break lol.

Running at the native resolution which is 1680x1050.

Mouse acceleration is. kinda hard to explain. Put two objects on your desk 5cm each side of your mouse, if you move your mouse at say 1cm/second left then right you will end up in the same place. If you move 2cm/second on the way back your pointer ends up in a different place.

Basically, having no acceleration means that moving the mouse 5cm on the desk will always be the same distance on the screen, no matter how fast you make the mouse go across those 5cm it will move the same distance on screen every time.

Mouse acceleration on OSX feels like the mouse is stuck in glue when ya move slowly!

5. mgipe macrumors demi-god

mgipe

I've been trying for a long, long time to get rid of the acceleration. All I managed to do was reduce it. I finally gave up and went back to the track pad. How did you do it? Can you share your script?

6. hexrr thread starter macrumors newbie

Right here:
    https://discussions.apple.com/message/18098372#18098372

I had to edit it slightly so it closed properly after running, I think I just deleted the notification that it had run in the applescript bit.

Had never done anything like that before but I just worked out the only bit that didn't seem necessary, was the last line I think can't get it back up now.

Even if you don't want to edit it it'll auto force quit after a while anyway or you can manually close it. To get mouse movement normal again just nudge the OSX sensitivity slider.

Using an app that reverses the scroll wheel direction too which is great when you have two mice on one mousemat for different operating systems. Will be running my pc as a headless download server, vsti host and audio mixer soon enough. Already doing the audio; optical out to line in, from computer (+eq) to 5.1 system. Just waiting for monitor adaptor to arrive.