Price Advice Getting rid of my JB 4S

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joshs2000ss, Sep 23, 2013.

1. joshs2000ss macrumors member

I've got a 32 gig, white, AT&T 4s and I've got some selling questions.

I've never sold a device such as this so I'm not sure the best route to take. I'm assuming Craigslist or Amazon are good options.

Here's the main concern. My phone is out of contract and JB, but on iOS 5.1.2 (yeah, I missed the iOS 6 JB because I was lazy...). Would I be better served to just reset the device and leave the JB, or update to the latest iOS and then sell?

Any ideas on what this model/size/color is going for on average?

2. joshs2000ss thread starter macrumors member

***Crickets***

:)

Not trying to sell this here. Don't want to deal with shipping and all that really.

Should I update or leave as is? Just want to make it appealing for the sale.

3. musukosan macrumors regular

My personal opinion would be to just restore it to factory settings. Doing so will install iOS7 (I'm pretty sure). Let the buyer decide if they want to JB it or not. As far as I know, a JB phone doesn't increase value. Since you are out of contract, you may want to have your carrier unlock it for you. I'm not positive, but I believe unlocked phones can be a good selling point (I plan to use it as one at least).

Also, another selling venue to try is eBay.

4. MeUnix macrumors 6502

I just looked on eBay at sold listing for iPhone 4S 32gb; it seems the average price of it is between $275-350. Also, keep in mind some sellers on eBay (such as myself) post items at a great price simply because they have no need for them.

Being that I have been selling tech items on eBay for quite some time, I think you could get $350 from it.

Also, a JB iPhone doesn't really matter over a non-JB iPhone (on eBay at least), personally I would reset it and update it to iOS 7 for the sale.

5. joshs2000ss thread starter macrumors member

I decided to update the phone to iOS 7, since I assume most won't want to deal with the jailbreak.

So far I've had 2 guys who want me to ship the phone to Africa interested in buying... :rolleyes:

6. crzdcolombian macrumors 6502a

crzdcolombian

I got $300 for a mint condition AT&T 4s with 16gb. Still had the original box, headphones(never used), and charger. It was not unlocked. Some people care about that but you really aren't going to get much more money for it. Now yours is double the memory that mine was but again your not going to get much more for that. I got $370 for a 64gb 4s as well.

I am thinking $250-350 depending on condition and the buyer. I wouldn't take anything less than $250 for it if your doing it local or on CL.