Getting rid of the $18 upgrade fee

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by boshii, Aug 2, 2008.

1. boshii macrumors 68040

boshii

Has anybody been able to do it?

I know it's just $18, but it's more about the principle to me. Why should I pay AT&T $18 so I can give them some more money for another 2 years.

If anybody's been able to get it waived or tried and failed, please let me know. ;)

2. LinMac macrumors 65816

I was able to get them to cancel the fee and apply a small fortune in one time service credits due to activation problems with my iPhone 3G. My first two months of service will come to roughly $10. :D

3. boshii thread starter macrumors 68040

boshii

Wow! I wish I had an excuse to get them to waive it but I don't.

I just want it gone!:D

4. emaja macrumors 68000

I would check to see if your employer or school has a FAN discount with AT&T. If so, they will give you a percentage off on your monthly service and likely waive any upgrade or activation fees.

Just call them. It will depend on who you get, but asking is the only way to find out.

5. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    now is this activation fee for EVERYONE who got an iphone or only specific people like the ones that switched over to at&t??

6. boshii thread starter macrumors 68040

boshii

If you were with AT&T and were upgrade eligible, they charge you an $18 upgrade fee on your first iphone 3g bill.

The thing is I started with AT&T early May. I bought the LG VU, returned it before a month, asked to have the contract cancelled and it never was. So now the 3G comes out and I'm hit with the $18.

I called and the guy I got was a real dickhead. He wasn't budging. He said if I wasn't charged the $18 upgrade fee I would've been charged the $36 activation fee since I technically should've started new service.

7. emaja macrumors 68000

I know it may be different, but I got my $36 activation fee waived and I was porting in a number from another carrier. I had to call several times on different days and at different times of the day. It took a few calls to get it done, but they finally did it.

Some reps seem more willing to do things for customers. Others act like they are the guardians at the gate and refuse to waive any fees. Luck of the draw.

8. boshii thread starter macrumors 68040

boshii

Yea I'm going to try again another day. I've had good luck with female CSR's. This guy was just really stubborn. He said flat-out "There's nothing I can do for you". I hung up on him after that.

9. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I've had an AT&T/Cingular account since 2004. I've gotten hit with an $18 fee for every phone I've bought. It's freakin' ridiculous, but it's not an iPhone-centric thing. It's almost like making out with Jennifer Love Hewitt but getting kicked square in the pills before you do it.

10. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Because you have to in order to get the 3G iPhone?

11. stiphone macrumors regular

i think this is ridiculous. Why should they treat their customers this way. Instead of rewarding them, there're punishing them?? Weird.

12. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

i got my activation fee waived on my first try, no prob. just told 'em that i was told in the store that it would be waived because of activation problems. not exactly honest, but i couldn't care less. it's complete bs that they charge a fee to switch to their service (especially premium service).

13. emaja macrumors 68000

Except you don't. They can and will waive it. If it is able to be waived, why charge it in the first place?

I think activation fees are BS. All they have to do is "flip a switch" and add me as a customer. Another poster said it well that companies treat these like mail in rebates. They hope that more customers are too lazy to send them in.

14. eplchamps0304 macrumors 6502a

eplchamps0304

Dude I just did what you did and it worked. No problem at all. Thanks man. My bill went from 139 down to 97 bucks. cool.