Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

southerndoc

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2006
USA
When I double click on a hard disk, iDisk, etc. icon, a box appears around the icon. I can click anywhere on the desktop and it's gone.

Is there a setting to keep this box from appearing at all?

Call me a neat freak or anal retentive, but I can't stand the box.

ltldrummerboy

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2007
Wow, I thought I'd heard of some bad cases of OCD, but this one takes the cake. Sorry, this "problem" can't be "fixed".

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Wow, I thought I'd heard of some bad cases of OCD, but this one takes the cake. Sorry, this "problem" can't be "fixed".

That's not necessarily true.... there have been some great breakthroughs in the fields of psychology and psychotherapy in recent years! :D

smythcc

macrumors newbie
Jul 19, 2008
I think I might know what you are talking about. Is it a black box, also appears around text boxes and what not? If so, the problem is that you have VoiceOver on. Just go into Universal Access inside System Preferences and turn it off, and that should get rid of it.

Otherwise, I have no idea what you're talking about, and can't help you. Sorry!

Tallest Skil

macrumors P6
Aug 13, 2006
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
I think I might know what you are talking about. Is it a black box, also appears around text boxes and what not? If so, the problem is that you have VoiceOver on. Just go into Universal Access inside System Preferences and turn it off, and that should get rid of it.

He's talking about the select box. The one that appears around an icon when you click it.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008

I believe the OP is referring to the box that appears when you select a drive, that shows that you've selected it.

Attachments

• Picture 3.jpg
    Picture 3.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 1,675
  • Picture 6.jpg
    Picture 6.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,678

tmelvin

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2008
I was browsing in the Apple store and at Best Buy and noticed the HD icon was different than the standard. I think the Best Buy one had like an Alien thing on it, and the Apple one had the logo. How do you change that???? I don't mind the box...I just breath deeply and focus...

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I was browsing in the Apple store and at Best Buy and noticed the HD icon was different than the standard. I think the Best Buy one had like an Alien thing on it, and the Apple one had the logo. How do you change that???? I don't mind the box...I just breath deeply and focus...

To change any drive icon, right-click, Get Info on the drive you want to change, and then do the same for a drive that has the icon you want. Click on the icon you want in the upper left, then press Command-C to copy. Click on the icon you want to change and press Command-V to paste. Done!

Attachments

• Picture 7.jpg
    Picture 7.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 1,883
  • Picture 9.jpg
    Picture 9.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 85

slotcarbob

macrumors member
Jun 4, 2006
There would have to be a way to get rid of it, but, since it is probably specific to each icon, you would never be able to do something global. That icon you hate (and yes, you are anal) is actually a second icon, in the resources. Try macgeekery.com, and see if those guys know a way. would love to hear about it if there is.

tmelvin

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2008
To change any drive icon, right-click, Get Info on the drive you want to change, and then do the same for a drive that has the icon you want. Click on the icon you want in the upper left, then press Command-C to copy. Click on the icon you want to change and press Command-V to paste. Done!

Sweeet! Thanks!

southerndoc

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2006
USA
So I'm a little anal about it, but it's not OCD. OCD is a disorder that causes undue stress in someone's life. This might be annoying to have the box around an icon, but it's not causing me distress that affects my life.

I think the black box is a little useless with the drive menu that's in the finder window. Yes, I like it when I click once and the icon is highlight/boxed. However, if I double click it and it opens a menu, the box serves no purpose. In fact, if I double click the Mac HD icon, Finder boxes it, and then I select my iDisk in the menu on the left of the file window, the box doesn't appear around the iDisk. Instead it remains around the original hard disk icon.

Anyhoo, the thing that I don't like is the fact that the icon still has the box around it when you close the window. I would prefer the box to go away. (I can live with the box being present while the window is shown.)

Call me anal about it if you want, but everyone has their own anal tendencies (including some of you teasing me about me being anal).

:)

mahegurl

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2012
Finally!!!

OMG THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! THAT FREAKIN BOX HAS BEEN BUGGING THE HELL OUT OF ME!
I finally know what to do to get rid of it, thanks so much!!

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
So I'm a little anal about it, but it's not OCD. OCD is a disorder that causes undue stress in someone's life. This might be annoying to have the box around an icon, but it's not causing me distress that affects my life.

I think the black box is a little useless with the drive menu that's in the finder window. Yes, I like it when I click once and the icon is highlight/boxed. However, if I double click it and it opens a menu, the box serves no purpose. In fact, if I double click the Mac HD icon, Finder boxes it, and then I select my iDisk in the menu on the left of the file window, the box doesn't appear around the iDisk. Instead it remains around the original hard disk icon.

Anyhoo, the thing that I don't like is the fact that the icon still has the box around it when you close the window. I would prefer the box to go away. (I can live with the box being present while the window is shown.)

Call me anal about it if you want, but everyone has their own anal tendencies (including some of you teasing me about me being anal).

:)

If it's actually a black box, and not the selection indicator which is more gray and/or blue (depending on the situation), then read the posts earlier about turning off VoiceOver. Unless you need VoiceOver, in which case you'll have to just suck it up. If it's a solid black box, though, that's what's causing it, and it's not a default enabled feature.

jW

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.