Getting rid of Time Machine files

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by munson, Mar 23, 2008.

1. munson macrumors 6502

munson

I read all the FAQs for Time Machine and came up with no answer to my question. Here's the situation:

I currently use Time Machine, and have no problems with it. I also have no real use for it. I am running out of space on my external and I now want to get rid of all the Time Machine files that my computer has stopped because they're taking up A LOT of room. Is there any way to get rid of all these files?

I'd appreciate the help!

2. todd2000 macrumors 68000

If there are no other files on the External, just format it.

If there are files on it (which I assume since you need more space on the drive), then you should just be able to delete the Backups.backupdb folder from the external. Do you have some other backup solution, because if not you really should consider keeping Time Machine. Maybe get another external just for TM?

3. jcs1088 macrumors regular

I agree, if Time Machine is the only thing on that hard drive I'd format it. I tried to deleting it by emptying it in my trash can and it took forever. I ended up moving all the files I wanted to keep from my external HD to my internal HD, formating it, and transfer the files back to the external HD.

4. munson thread starter macrumors 6502

munson

Ah, I think I might just move the files and format it. THanks a bunch!

Now, how might I go about formatting it?

------------

Nevermind, ha ha. I forgot all about Disk Utility...

I DO have another question, though. What HD formats are readable by both Windows and Mac (and Linux)?

5. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

You can read and write FAT32 in all of those OpSys. However there is a maximum individual file size limit of 4GB.