Getting rid of uneeded files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Tech198, Apr 9, 2017.

1. Tech198 macrumors G5

To save space, do people prefer to delete all other language files they don't speak ?

eg: this could be any file, or game in a non-english, or non primary speaking language..

Also could be useful to just clear up 300Gig or how ever much space they would take up.. Multiple game files in different language for instance.

What's your preference when it comes to spring cleaning your hard drives?

2. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

I use Monolingual to strip out all languages except English, but…

… you're NOT going to "clear up 300Gig". 300-400mb is more like it.

3. MC6800 macrumors 6502

To save space, I find some unused video file and delete it. Deleting just 2 minutes of compressed HD video will save you that 300 MB -- it's really not worth risk of breaking applications to delete language files.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Download and use OmniDiskSweeper. It will provide a sorted list of what's consuming your space. Then you can see what's taking up space that perhaps you don't want. For the most part, I'd avoid the system directories, as you can royally mess things up by being too aggressive.

Look for the garageband files in the root /Library directory, there's some pretty hefty support files there for that app.

5. MC6800 macrumors 6502

You may also want to consider what your time is worth. At current drive prices, that wasted 400 MB of language files is costing you a whole penny!

6. kschendel macrumors 6502a

LOL well, yes and no. The cost of drive space is a step function, it's not linear like billing your time. It's free until you fill it up and have to either do something or buy more / bigger drives. :)

I find that the main benefit of a periodic cleanup every few months is that I have a shot at actually remembering what document RX27Z.Boskone-Helmut is all about, thus making the process go a lot faster...