Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
i did something stupid ... I blundered into some kind of semi-spam trap and now my default search engine is Yahoo, instead of Google, on Safari & firefox. It makes no sense, because when I go into the preferences, "google" is clearly set as the default search engine, but when I do a search, somehow it automatically loads up Yahoo. Have no idea how to get rid of this ... it's like termites or bad breath or something. Help!

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
thank you! I easily found the culprit in Safari, it was an extension called GENERALNETSEARCH, it seems to be hard to get rid of, but I was able to disable it.

finding it somewhat harder to do in Firefox, but I shall keep at it ... now that I have a better idea of where to look.

thanks very much!

w

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
thank you! I easily found the culprit in Safari, it was an extension called GENERALNETSEARCH, it seems to be hard to get rid of, but I was able to disable it.

finding it somewhat harder to do in Firefox, but I shall keep at it ... now that I have a better idea of where to look.

thanks very much!

w
The Malwarebytes app recommended above will take care of all this for you, and it can be used in its free mode to do so.

wfriedwald

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 1, 2017
I admit I was a little over-cautious about using any new program to go digging through my hard drive, but I bit the bullet and tried Malwarebytes - and it seems to have worked perfectly.

So, belated thanks for the recommendation!

w

Reactions: willmtaylor
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.