Getting rid of your camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Aucun Express, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Aucun Express macrumors regular

Since the iPhone 4 can take pictures at 5 megapixel, who already got rid of his camera?
    My Sony camera (which is a bit old now) can take pictures at... 5.1 megapixel. So I guess it wouldn't make any sense of having an iPhone 4 and that camera.

Of course, some will say that they need 10 megapixel for their pictures, or even more. But as for me, 5 megapixel is enough.

2. tirk macrumors 6502

tirk

The quality of the optics matters too, and there is a limit to what you can get out of a tiny unit like that in ANY phone.

3. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I have a nice little Casio I got like 4 years ago with 8MP. It won't be long before its only use is if I need to take a picture of my iPhone. :p

4. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Casio's aren't very good cameras. Get a Canon/Sony/Nikon and I guarantee you'll bring it along with you and use it.

5. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

I like that it has a camera, but my Canon SLR will not be replaced anytime soon.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

It's a great camera when it's your only camera.

But compared to my point-and-shoot...nope, the iPhone is awful.

And when I get a nice Canon later this year there's no comparison.

7. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

I'd rather have a 3MP DSLR than a 5MP iPhone 4 camera, although I appreciate that the iP4 has some other features too. But to ditch my decent camera with a decent lens and proper functions that any camera should have - it's not enough.

8. Zcott macrumors 68020

9. Padraig macrumors 6502a

Your old Sony should destroy any camera phone old there.

10. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Maybe you can ask this question when cellphone starts offering optical zoom.

11. Hemmo macrumors regular

no need for compact anymore ,though i still keep my D90 :)

12. winterny macrumors 6502

My P&S was crushed a few months ago thanks to my girlfriend being careless and it ending up underneath the tires of an 18-wheeler... It was better than the i4's camera, mostly due to the features it had, and the optical zoom.

That said, I'm not throwing away money like I used to in the past, and while I loved that camera, the i4's camera is finally "good enough" that I can justify using that as my P&S.

If I still owned a good P&S, I'd still take it with me whenever I planned to take pictures -- that said, most good pictures I've taken were at unexpected moments, and I *always* have my phone with me, so the i4 would still probably get the better shots in many cases.

13. kasakka macrumors 68000

I can finally ditch my compact cam. The iPhone 4's camera is good enough that for holiday snaps there isn't much need for hauling a point-and-shoot. A DSLR is a completely different thing of course.

It's not about megapixels but optics really. This is where phones will always fail but I must say that the iPhone 4 is simply good enough for on-the-go photography.

14. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I have a Nikon D90... Not a comparison. Of course, I sold my Sony still camera the moment I tested out the iPhone 4's camera. I just wish that Apple would add image stabilization already. It would make iPhone 4 photos that much better.

15. Snowman3459 macrumors 6502a

No DSLR or even DECENT quality point-and-shoot can be compared to an iPhone 4 camera.

iPhone 4 camera is pretty amazing but it's far from perfect.

However, I barely use my point-and-shoot. It's just a great inconvenience to me.

16. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Still keeping my Canon SD 780IS (12MP). iPhone camera is nice but can't touch the quality of my little point and shoot :D

5MP or not, the iPhone camera is so so compared to a point and shoot of equal MP. The iPhone is definitely more handy (since I carry it with me everywhere I go) but the Canon is small enough that it's not too bulky to bring along as well. I primarily use the Canon for traveling along with the iPhone.

17. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

I had one of these and it's a great little camera. Mine ended up getting washed down a river but was replaced with the SD 4000IS.

Really, phone cameras have a LONG way to go. The image quality between these Canon point-and-shoots and a phone camera is literally night and day.

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Sort of.

I have a Canon 7D SLR and I had a tiny little Sony camera for when I didn't feel like bringing the big camera. I always needed to have 2 cameras.

Because of the iPhone 4 I've gotten rid of the little Sony. So even though I still have a 7D it IS fair to say that my iPhone replaced a camera.

19. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Yeah, really like this thing a lot (thanks to Circuit City's "liquidation" sale") Haven't graduated yet to a DLSR but that's next on my list of things to buy :D

20. pcconvert macrumors member

The best camera is the one you have with you when opportunity arises. Iphone 4 camera gets very decent results. Big plus to apple for taking effort. Too bad I will get rid of my iPhone4 for Galaxy because I can stand iTunes everything and nazzixxs policy of Mr.Jobs in respect to wireless sync. Galaxy is nowhere close in picture department.

21. Carniphage macrumors 68000

Carniphage

Confession

I like photography.
    I have a Canon7D SLR, and a great Lumix point and shoot.

I took both on my vacation to Florida.

But I have to confess, I took way more pictures with my iPhone because.
    1) The phone was always in my pocket.
    2) It's more than good enough for capturing the moment. The images a great, and the image processing Apps make it even more fun.

A phone won't ever replace an SLR.
    But I only used the Lumix when I really needed the optical zoom.

C.

22. Savor Suspended

Savor

Not if I need Xenon flash and optical zoom.

I owned the Nokia N82 which was probably the best cameraphone a couple years ago. After years that I've owned it, I realized cell phones could make great "substitutes" for cameras but can never truly become replacements for them. Cameras will always have bigger and better sensors, better zoom, stronger Xenon, more options, easy transfers, etc. There are still things my current P&S can do better than my iPhone 4 for photos including battery and the comfort of holding it with a wrist band. Imagine no wrist band on the iPhone 4 and you are taking pics on top of the Empire State Building? One bump, and your phone slips out of your hands. My iPhone 4 does take superior videos than my P&S and gives me the ability to shoot them in the dark with my LED flash.

Many smartphones will eventually be the jack of all trades but the masters of none. Even at this point, the iPhone still isn't on the level of a true dedicated gaming platform. It is "good enough" in some areas, but you don't get all the options.

23. Aucun Express thread starter macrumors regular

As for me, I truly think that the camera industry will die overtime. And very soon.
    I mean, a picture taken with an iPhone 2G, 3G or 3GS was really not great.
    Now, we are, for the first time with an iPhone, able to take great pictures. Let's take one of the famous examples from Apple:
    http://images.apple.com/iphone/features/includes/camera-gallery/04-20100607.jpg
    A lot of people will stop buying camera, including myself. And I don't even talk about the economy, which is so bad now. What would be the point of buying a camera when you have such a great camera in your pocket all the time.

24. npropes macrumors member

My crappy point and shoot that I carried around got itself lost when I got my iPhone 3G. While the camera is greatly improved with my iPhone 4, my DSLR will always remain king to any P&S style camera.

If I don't have my DSLR with my, the iPhone camera can take decent photos that don't require too much post processing.

25. phobic99 macrumors 6502a

phobic99

I don't think dedicated cameras are going anywhere for quite some time. There's still millions of people that can't have and don't want a camera on their phone due to numerous reasons. Add in the fact that a dedicated device will virtually always be better than a multitasking device and well... yeah.