Getting rMBP 15 this weekend - how to check is it good?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by M0esmac, Jun 21, 2013.

1. M0esmac macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

Hi everyone,

I'm getting the i7 2.7, 16GB, 512GB model this weekend.
    I heard that some rMBP's have problems like lag, screen ghosting (LG?) etc. I want to be prepared to test it straight away and return it in case I get a bad one.

So, what do you suggest me to do, how to check it etc?

Many thanks,

M

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

3. M0esmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

The thing is, when I'm buying this, almost straight away I'm going to my home country for two month vacation, and Apple Service I can say is impossible there. I can't live without computer for two months, I will need it. This is why I need you all who have experience with it, to give me tests to do etc. By the way, how to know is it LG or Samsung?

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Right, so use it, to see if its working as you expect it too - before you leave and look at the link I provided to run an image retention test.

The only way you're going to know if you have a defective machine is to turn it on and use it. The only way you can determine if you have a ghosting problem is run a test to see if there's an issue

5. M0esmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

As I understand, ghosting happens only with LG screens?

Also, If there is ghosting, can I take it to Apple store and say - "look, I run this test and I have that problem, give me new machine" - will they do that?

6. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

If you are within your 14 day return window you can take it back and just tell them to give you a new one.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It appears to be localized to LG, additionally Apple is using LG more then Samsung to the odds of an LG screen are high.

Just because you have an LG screen doesn't mean you'll have ghosting but its more likely.

8. M0esmac thread starter macrumors 6502a

M0esmac

So OK, I get LG screen... I have no ghosting for a few months, maybe half a year. And then I get it, while in my 1 year warranty. Will they give me a new machine?

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No, if its defective within the return period you get a new one. If a problem develops months later then you send it in to get repaired